Advice on a Compact Tractor (35-40hp) for the homestead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve owned 1 JD 30hp and 3 Kubotas, and I still have two of the Kubotas...a 1996 L2900 and a 2001 L3010. My advice is to never buy new and watch Craigslist or FB Markerplace. There are deals to be had. I drove from Texas to Midwest City to buy one of my Kubotas.

I have a Kubota M7040 at my place up there, and it was several years old with only 450 hours on it. I paid about half what it cost when new. It was a Craigslist find and is my favorite tractor I’ve ever owned. My L3010 is my second favorite.

Very Good advice, But patience is not always a persons strong point.. I looked at CL for that bargain and it didn't happen in my time frame and I bought new, my only complaint is the re gen system they put on new over 25hp nowadays.. I just make sure I run 15k or better and work around the re gen..

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can find a low hr good used Massy Ferguson in the 235-265 range they are sweet made little tractors. After using a few Kubotas in construction I am not particularly high on them as everyone else.

I currently have a JD 50hp. Yes its the cool farm green. It's a good tractor but when you work on it, the way some things are designed it borders on the absurd sometimes. The ONLY redeeming feature of a JD is I can have a 1925 poppin John and if they can't slide me a part right across the counter they can have it in about 3-4 days. Their parts support is unmatched but the tractors themselves border on being anal sometimes.

Big Red Case make a nice tractor but my god a the price. These and old Internationals, the old tan Case and White are the only other brands I have experience with. I don't know anything about the Indian made stuff.

But this is just a my personal experience and then we get into the silly Chevy vs Ford argument, or my daddy can whip your daddy.

Last edited:

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 32hp diesel Kubota tractor with front end loader that I use at my ranch to box blade and brush hog...It's been a great tractor and I haven't had any issues with it.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 32 hp diesel Cub Cadet Yanmar from when they were a joint venture, and I got it during a huge sale. I’ve had no issues with it in the ten years I’ve owned it, but if I were in the market today, I’d be looking at Kioti. The parts availability for those is a concern, though.

Go here for a wealth of info regarding tractors: https://www.tractorbynet.com/

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very Good advice, But patience is not always a persons strong point.. I looked at CL for that bargain and it didn't happen in my time frame and I bought new, my only complaint is the re gen system they put on new over 25hp nowadays.. I just make sure I run 15k or better and work around the re gen..
how do you work around re gen

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another vote for Kubota. I have a MX5100 and its a beast compared to the L3200 I had.
i have an mx5100f. the f stands for without front wheel drive. it is a good solid tractor but the ass iv very lite so plan on adding beet juice to the rear tires and then the pancake weights or you will tip it over with a round bale on the front. my neighbor has a real nice looking yanmar with cab loader rear remotes and everything. i think it is a better deal than my kubota

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking for advice on buying a tractor. My main question is about price, more specifically how much can you haggle on a new tractor?
The reviews seem really good for the 35-40 hp LS tractors with hydrostatic transmissions. The Kubotas looked good but seem to have some mixed reviews and wild price variations. Kiotis have great reviews, but I've yet to see a dealer with one on the lot. With that said, does anyone have any experience with dealers around the metro? One place I've heard good things about is Wright tractors in Spencer.

Any help is appreciated.
There is a Kiotis dealer here in Mustang/Wheatland. On Council about SW 70th

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I heard somewhere (so take it with a grain of salt) that the newer mahandras Post Tier4F had electrical harness and computer problems. We bought a Deere (Yanmar) 15 - 20 years ago and it has been a great tractor. Paid more for green because of their reputation for parts availability. Coming from a grey market Kabota with near ZERO parts availability it was a big selling point. Just last season had a critter chew up all the electrical. Deere does not offer a replacement harness or brain so that idea was a bust. PK couldn't even get me a diagram. Just figured it out myself and wired around everything, now it is dumb but works.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a VERY largee tractor auction once a month down in Broken Bow. Can remember when it is but its like the last weekend of every month or something like that. When I went, it was a Thursday and they auctioned tractors and implements until Sunday. LOTS of great prices were had.

Latest posts

Top Bottom