Advice on selling a truck?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's off my farm in Seminole and I brought it to Tulsa to sell. A dealer wanted it but he's apparently changed his mind. I don't want to drive it all the way back to Seminole.

I'll share the specifics and you can recommend the best approach. It's a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD regular cab with 8 foot bed. SLT pickup, 5.7 liter Hemi. It's got some dents and scratches but the upholstery looks ok. No rust that I can see. 148,000 miles.

It's got a new (1 month old) battery but needs an oil change. I took it to Robertson's to change the oil but they failed to do that. They did run an engine diagnostics to see why the "check engine" light is on. (It's been on for several years.) The diagnostic determined the light was on because the variable cylinder module was no longer varying the cylinder performance.

As I understand, that feature fires all eight cylinders when accelerating, but then drops to only fours cylinders running at cruising speed? Anyway, my understanding is likely all eight cylinders are firing all the time. I drove it from Seminole to Tulsa and it runs strong.

The "low tire pressure" light also stays on. The TPMS sensor batteries are dead and the sensors have to be replaced which, I'm not going to do. I just check the air pressure like always. The tires are good.

I went to Kelley's for some ideas for pricing. For private party pricing in "fair" condition it starts at $4066 to $6899 with the average of $5483. I tried to see what it would be in "poor" condition but that wasn't available.

Trade in value in "fair" condition is $2793 to $4978 with the avg of $3886.

Is "fair" condition accurate? If I sell to a private party, do we go to his bank to cash a check? Do I keep my license plate and registration? Transfer title, does it have to be done at a notary?

Is carmax any good? Do they take old/high mileage vehicles?

Any advice is appreciated.

View attachment 355649
your truck looks pretty decent - I bought and sold my last car on Vroom - online deal where you provide info about the vehicle - they give you an offer and if you take it they come and pick up your vehicle -- In my case I believe I saved several thousand on the buy side and got a few thousand extra selling. most would be surprised how slick that works

Ians 17/22

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanx for all the advice. I carmax'd it.

thanx again

That truck looks pretty good , i have a jeep chrokee 172K miles , 2008 , same problems , spare tire light , engine light , 5.7 hemi , been this way for yrs , nothing wrong with tire , had new sencers installed , had an indipendent check the so called bad one'S & they proved O.K......disconnent a battery cable 1 minute , engine light goes off , hit a good bump or rain seems to trigger it.....still runs strong , i'm confident it will go 250k miles , other problems may happen But she goes & i mean STRONG.....why blow it out for a measly 2-3 grand......at 150 k i bought a ford edge , both sit in driveway & i alternate , insurance is now cheaper & both go under 50m / yr....no emissions necessary......plus Jeep service is a total Rip-Off.....had jeeps for 30 yrs , NO MORE......sencers & high voltage lights , lights 300 bucks each within 2 weeks , new Sensers ??? RIP-OFF , Licence To STEAL......extra vehicle on property also deters crooks......cheap insurance policy .... i see it as a win win win situation in my area.....
Sure vented myself here , By the way what did Car max give you ????

Attachments

• IMG_2716.jpeg
    IMG_2716.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2725.jpeg
    IMG_2725.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom