Advice on selling a truck?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I second trying FB marketplace. A lot of people are shopping on there and its free to list. Most of what I've sold lately was listed on multiple sites but was ultimately sold through marketplace.

However, when selling something relatively inexpensive there, you'll be responding to a baffling number of millennial morons everyday with ridiculous offers. Some of them just get a thrill from harassing sellers.

EDIT: I retract my recommendation!

Exactly my experience selling a Jeep on FB. Several 20 somethings saying I'll take it or I'll give you $xx tomorrow and never hearing back or just wasting my time.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's off my farm in Seminole and I brought it to Tulsa to sell. A dealer wanted it but he's apparently changed his mind. I don't want to drive it all the way back to Seminole.

I'll share the specifics and you can recommend the best approach. It's a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD regular cab with 8 foot bed. SLT pickup, 5.7 liter Hemi. It's got some dents and scratches but the upholstery looks ok. No rust that I can see. 148,000 miles.

It's got a new (1 month old) battery but needs an oil change. I took it to Robertson's to change the oil but they failed to do that. They did run an engine diagnostics to see why the "check engine" light is on. (It's been on for several years.) The diagnostic determined the light was on because the variable cylinder module was no longer varying the cylinder performance.

As I understand, that feature fires all eight cylinders when accelerating, but then drops to only fours cylinders running at cruising speed? Anyway, my understanding is likely all eight cylinders are firing all the time. I drove it from Seminole to Tulsa and it runs strong.

The "low tire pressure" light also stays on. The TPMS sensor batteries are dead and the sensors have to be replaced which, I'm not going to do. I just check the air pressure like always. The tires are good.

I went to Kelley's for some ideas for pricing. For private party pricing in "fair" condition it starts at $4066 to $6899 with the average of $5483. I tried to see what it would be in "poor" condition but that wasn't available.

Trade in value in "fair" condition is $2793 to $4978 with the avg of $3886.

Is "fair" condition accurate? If I sell to a private party, do we go to his bank to cash a check? Do I keep my license plate and registration? Transfer title, does it have to be done at a notary?

Is carmax any good? Do they take old/high mileage vehicles?

Any advice is appreciated.

View attachment 355649
Give Hoss At Hosstyle motors in Checotah a call and shot at a fair price to put on his lot. He would be able to fix the issues and still make a buck.
And he is able to pick it up if needed.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think now is a good time to sell, I would opt for as many views as possible. I guess vehicles are still at a premium now. You can also take advantage of folks getting a tax refund.
KECO 96.5 FM in Elk City has a show called Tradio, you could text it in there. I would guess some other radio stations probably have something similar.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since you don’t do Facebook, I’d list it on Craigslist. Put it on the farm items page first, as it won’t cost you anything to do it and you’ll get less BS from flippers.

Look on Craigslist and autotrader for comparable prices, and decide how badly you want to look at it in your driveway. My experience has been if it’s not priced to sell in a week, people see it stay listed and tend to shy away from it.

Facebook has the most buyers on it by far. And seem to be the ones with more money, or more willingness to part with it anyway.

A 2wd hemi dodge is about as sought after as a yeast infection so I definitely wouldn’t go fishing with a high price, but I wouldn’t want to have a dealership come steal it from you either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom