Advice on selling a truck?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Private party will probably get you the most money. Otherwise Carmax is the way to go. I keep a car for around 3 years and sell. The last leased car I sold Carmax I made 7K. It was a Subaru Outback. If nothing else I would bring it by Carmax and get a 7day quote. If nothing else it’ll give you a good Idea of what to expect. I sell all my cars to Carmax. I went to a dealer once because they guaranteed me the best price for my car. Once I told them I was going to take my car to Carmax after them they told me nobody would beat a deal I got from Carmax. They don’t usually even sell older cars at Carmax, they sell them to dealers at auction. Also Carmax are Guru’s when it comes to volume buying and selling.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Private party will probably get you the most money. Otherwise Carmax is the way to go. I keep a car for around 3 years and sell. The last leased car I sold Carmax I made 7K. It was a Subaru Outback. If nothing else I would bring it by Carmax and get a 7day quote. If nothing else it’ll give you a good Idea of what to expect. I sell all my cars to Carmax. I went to a dealer once because they guaranteed me the best price for my car. Once I told them I was going to take my car to Carmax after them they told me nobody would beat a deal I got from Carmax. They don’t usually even sell older cars at Carmax, they sell them to dealers at auction. Also Carmax are Guru’s when it comes to volume buying and selling.
My son is a buyer for carmax. I go through him win I need a vehicle.

JamesBell

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Carmax is fantastic for lower mileage late model vehicles. But something like this is where they struggle. They’ll give you a lowball price because they’re just taking it to auction and want to ensure they get their money’s worth.

I buy entirely too many cars. And the way I’d look at this if I was in the market would be that it’s below “fair” condition but is still a good truck. The trade value of a fair condition truck is where I’d be willing to buy. Pricing it at the lower end of private sale retail and being willing to work down would probably let you sell it pretty quick.

I’ve been burnt by someone not changing the title. So now we meet at a tag agency and that’s taken care of at the time of sale. You keep the plate now, so that even helps them since they’d have to drive without until they made it there anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom