Advice on selling a truck?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's off my farm in Seminole and I brought it to Tulsa to sell. A dealer wanted it but he's apparently changed his mind. I don't want to drive it all the way back to Seminole.

I'll share the specifics and you can recommend the best approach. It's a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD regular cab with 8 foot bed. SLT pickup, 5.7 liter Hemi. It's got some dents and scratches but the upholstery looks ok. No rust that I can see. 148,000 miles.

It's got a new (1 month old) battery but needs an oil change. I took it to Robertson's to change the oil but they failed to do that. They did run an engine diagnostics to see why the "check engine" light is on. (It's been on for several years.) The diagnostic determined the light was on because the variable cylinder module was no longer varying the cylinder performance.

As I understand, that feature fires all eight cylinders when accelerating, but then drops to only fours cylinders running at cruising speed? Anyway, my understanding is likely all eight cylinders are firing all the time. I drove it from Seminole to Tulsa and it runs strong.

The "low tire pressure" light also stays on. The TPMS sensor batteries are dead and the sensors have to be replaced which, I'm not going to do. I just check the air pressure like always. The tires are good.

I went to Kelley's for some ideas for pricing. For private party pricing in "fair" condition it starts at $4066 to $6899 with the average of $5483. I tried to see what it would be in "poor" condition but that wasn't available.

Trade in value in "fair" condition is $2793 to $4978 with the avg of $3886.

Is "fair" condition accurate? If I sell to a private party, do we go to his bank to cash a check? Do I keep my license plate and registration? Transfer title, does it have to be done at a notary?

Is carmax any good? Do they take old/high mileage vehicles?

Any advice is appreciated.

Truck.JPG

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just sold a 1998 Ram 1500 a few months ago. It didn't look nearly as good as yours, the tires were in really bad shape, driver's side seat was torn and CEL was on (as was the ABS light and "Brake" light). The body was very straight (except the tailgate...it was dented) and it had little rust. I forget what the odo said because the speedometer hadn't worked for a while.

We sold it easily for $2800.

If the title is an OK title, then yes, it needs to be notarized. Keep your plates when you sell it. Craigslist is usually a good place to start with a sale. I'd probably ask at least $4500 for that one.

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sold a truck last year on FB Marketplace. I don’t know if it’s the best venue for such, but you’ll get a lot of views.
I second trying FB marketplace. A lot of people are shopping on there and its free to list. Most of what I've sold lately was listed on multiple sites but was ultimately sold through marketplace.

However, when selling something relatively inexpensive there, you'll be responding to a baffling number of millennial morons everyday with ridiculous offers. Some of them just get a thrill from harassing sellers.

EDIT: I retract my recommendation!

mgssamn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Carmax works well imo. that said, you can bring there and get price, and try to sell for more on FB marketplace or whatever. if it doesn't sell you have 7 days I think or get a requote if time expired on orig quote. they gave me a $35000 check the day I walked in. $5k more than any trade from a dealer. Of course, it will depend on the vehicle marketability etc.

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sold my truck on marketplace just a few weeks ago for significantly more than either of the 2 dealerships offered me. The buyer paid cash, I also would have accepted a cashier's check (Not certified).

I traded a truck to carmax years ago and felt I got a reasonable trade. 4 years later I went back to them to trade and was offered a ridiculously low amount. I declined and found a much better deal elsewhere.

Latest posts

Top Bottom