Aerobic Septic System Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Aerobic systems can end up being money pits . . . I've bought several aerators and rebuild kits over the years as well as having our entire circuit board replaced. Don't forget to have the slug tank checked and pumped if needed. They did that for us when they pumped the septic tank.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My system is only 4 years old and the maintenance plan has already paid for itself. It’s basically pre paying for the inevitable **** breaking. I despise having one mainly because my backyard is unusable unless the grass is green. Makes the lawn super thick with the repurposed water but in the summer though!

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess my experience with aerobic systems was different. Where I was in Texas you had to have an inspection contract on it for them to inspect it quarterly. You can also pay for a service cont ractly a warranty where they fix whatever you need. For the cost of about one year's worth of the inspection contract, you could take a class and become certified and trained to do the inspection yourself and they taught you the basics of maintenance and would field calls if you had something beyond what they showed you. In the time that I had that system, I had to replace a few parts but they didn't come up anywhere near to the cost of the service contract let alone the inspection contract. I think I had to replace a diaphragm in the pump once or twice which is cake, had to replace a few sprinkler heads and do a little bit of wiring where ants got in the electrical box but it is all very simple stuff if you are mildly mechanically inclined.

When I sold the house the buyers wanted something changed on it, I don't remember what but that was part of the agreements to sell the house. I ended up going to the septic parts store and getting the part and installing it within a few hours of them making the demand and notify the realtor that it had been taken care of. The buyers basically said that I was a liar because there was no way that I could get a service call out there on a Sunday evening to have them replace it and when I told them that I was certified to do the repair they wanted to see my credentials which I gladly provided and they had to eat crow.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve had an aerobic system since 2004. I’ve replaced the air pump, a timer for the water pump and I had to fix a broken water line coming of the pump the removes the chlorinated water from the tank. I’ve done the work myself.
Mine uses the 3”chlorine tabs and I stay on top of those and keep the tab reservoir from emptying.
I also added 5 sprinkler heads to the original 2 sprinklers. This helps empty the tank faster and keep more of the yard nice a green.

The only issue I have had is with a neighbor who doesn’t fill his chlorine regularly and if the wind is blowing just right when his sprinklers are going it smells like @&$!.
Oh, and I’ve had it pump out completely twice. They pump out all 4 tanks.

Last edited:

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess my experience with aerobic systems was different. Where I was in Texas you had to have an inspection contract on it for them to inspect it quarterly. You can also pay for a service cont ractly a warranty where they fix whatever you need. For the cost of about one year's worth of the inspection contract, you could take a class and become certified and trained to do the inspection yourself and they taught you the basics of maintenance and would field calls if you had something beyond what they showed you. In the time that I had that system, I had to replace a few parts but they didn't come up anywhere near to the cost of the service contract let alone the inspection contract. I think I had to replace a diaphragm in the pump once or twice which is cake, had to replace a few sprinkler heads and do a little bit of wiring where ants got in the electrical box but it is all very simple stuff if you are mildly mechanically inclined.

When I sold the house the buyers wanted something changed on it, I don't remember what but that was part of the agreements to sell the house. I ended up going to the septic parts store and getting the part and installing it within a few hours of them making the demand and notify the realtor that it had been taken care of. The buyers basically said that I was a liar because there was no way that I could get a service call out there on a Sunday evening to have them replace it and when I told them that I was certified to do the repair they wanted to see my credentials which I gladly provided and they had to eat crow.
That’s awesome that they didn’t trust you but it was all on the up and up. I think people aren’t used to that.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Parks 788 - Please give me a shout at 405-850-1630 and leave a message if I don't answer. I will return your call and try to assist you.
That's great. Can i call tomorrow mid morning sometime? Also what is your first name. Just seems funny to ask for Mr Slayer. My first name is Hoby. Thanks for offering.

Latest posts

Top Bottom