after 27 years I think it is finally over

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good for you! You can do it! I smoked at least a pack a day for over thirty years. Smoked my last one on 12/31/1999 with the help of patches. After many, many failed attempts!

geezer77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congratulations, you won't regret it. I smoked steadily from 1957 (at age 16) to 1973. Almost 50 years ago, on December 3, 1973, I quit cigarettes (but not nicotine) and switched to Skoal. Several years later I had to get off the Skoal when I got a white collar job (coat and tie just were incompatible with spit cups lol). Quitting smoking was hard, but honestly laying off Skoal seemed to me just as hard. In my case, nicotine cravings soon thankfully gradually become fewer and farther apart. However, they also seemed to increase in intensity in spite of their infrequency and short duration. It took me almost 20 years to finally be completely free of an occasional rare but intense craving for a dip of Skoal. Of course, it helped that by then a can of tobacco that used to be 75 cents was $8.00.

Hang in there, it's the best thing you could ever do for yourself and your family.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have smoked cigarettes for most of the last 27 years and last week on my way home I just decided to not stop and buy any, the days do seem longer without having a smoke the first 2 days were the hardest so far I feel like if I make it a week I will have kicked it.
I started smoking at 14, quit at 26 year old, but replced it with snuff! DUMB MOVE! Snuff was harder to quit, than smoking! I would quit, and sub-concisely eat more, gain weight, to give myself an excuse to start back on the snuff! Then while on a trip, to Colorado, I saw a huge bill board with a close up of a guys face, that had his complete lower jaw surgically removed!! it said, "SNUFF, ONE HALF OFF!!" I switched to chewing tooth picks that day, decades ago, and still have my lower jaw!

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have smoked cigarettes for most of the last 27 years and last week on my way home I just decided to not stop and buy any, the days do seem longer without having a smoke the first 2 days were the hardest so far I feel like if I make it a week I will have kicked it.
I started smoking as a teen, but found one day I could buy 5 used paperback books for the cost of my 3 packs a day smoking habit. This was when a pack of Marlboros was $0.35, and used paperbacks were $0.20 at my favorite bookstore. Quit the same day, gave my last pack to my dad. Find something (primers?) you want more than a cigarette, and use the money for that. Hasn't saved me any money, but I still really like books!

I've learned a lot reading those books, too. Good luck and God Bless!

Bill

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Chantix has been determined to be highly carcinogenic. It will help you quit for keeps though.
chantix messed me up i tried it for a few days and had to stop i also tried patches and vape and a few other things even hypnosis none of it worked i just had to get my mind right and do it i guess and stop making excuses.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started at 13 years old, quit at 30. I started again at 39 and quit again at 56. For now I feel so much better I doubt I'll ever take up smoking again. I've been smoke free for more than 20 years now.

The biggest "improvement" for me was that my blood pressure dropped far enough for minimal blood pressure medications to work.

I do miss my Captain Black Royal, though.

Stick with it! Quitting is a good thing!

Woody

Latest posts

Top Bottom