after 27 years I think it is finally over

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good for you! You got this! BTW - everyone is different. When I finally quit for good, I was honestly disappointed that I didn't really feel a lot better, nor did my food taste better like everybody said it would. HOWEVER, I found that I was able physically to do some things that I knew I could not have done previously. Stick with it! It's worth it!

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The physical addiction is over by now. You must be feeling physically better. Your sense of smell is probably returning. You can probably breathe better, and taste food again. Probably you have stopped hacking up tarballs in the morning.

The psychological addiction is tougher to beat.

Smoking is a ritual; tactile as much as anything.
Holding the package of smokes, tapping it against one's palm to pack the tobacco. Holding the smooth cylinder of the cigarette in ones hand.
The feel of the smoke entering the lungs.
Etc.

It's all part of the ritual. It all has to be overcome.

It's not easy, but it can be done. Millions of people have done it. I've done it.

If I can do it you can do it. Hang tough. If you want to do it you will.
the only time I miss it a little is when I am sitting on the back porch hanging out, I just had some tests and xrays done and they asked me how many years ago did I quit smoking and I started laughing and said less than 3 weeks. So I don't think I will be smoking again unless the world goes to hell and then I going out with a cigarette in my mouth while riding a stolen giraffe into battle.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the only time I miss it a little is when I am sitting on the back porch hanging out, I just had some tests and xrays done and they asked me how many years ago did I quit smoking and I started laughing and said less than 3 weeks. So I don't think I will be smoking again unless the world goes to hell and then I going out with a cigarette in my mouth while riding a stolen giraffe into battle.
good job!

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is great to hear, good job! I quit years ago and my wife has reached the point where she needs to quit weather she wants to or not. Having a family history of strokes and MS it’s just time. Keep it up and don’t give in to the bastard.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
5 weeks down as of today
So, food starting to taste/smell better yet? I was sitting at lunch with my boss one day at a Mexican place we always went too.. He had stopped smoking a few weeks before, he was eating his food and just got this look of amazement… He asked if it always tasted this good. I was next to h8m when a smoker walked by, he started gagging a5 the smell and asked if he smelled that bad after a smoke break. In both cases we said yes. He kept thinking of those two things when he had cravings.

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
it is the best bad habit you can get rid of- started when I was about 10 sneaking one from my brother or sister- quit about 3 times unless I was drinking- finally kicked it for good about 1993- now I can't believe people will pay $8 bucks a pack for something that will kill you

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have smoked cigarettes for most of the last 27 years and last week on my way home I just decided to not stop and buy any, the days do seem longer without having a smoke the first 2 days were the hardest so far I feel like if I make it a week I will have kicked it.
GOOD FOR YOU!!!! PROUD OF YOU!!!! STICK WITH IT!!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom