After 6 years; I finally finished my build.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a simple build, started it 6 years ago. Finally got around to finishing it up this morning. I should have done this years ago. Howa 1500 .308 20” HB action, MDT LSS Chassis, MDT fixed stock, MDT pistol grip. Harris Bipod and finally, the new Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 mounted on Vortex PRS 34mm rings. First build like this that I’ve done. I’ve always just been an AR/rim fire kinda guy. I have to say, I’m pretty impressed with the setup. Took the setup to Banner Road Range and tried it out, sighting it in on the 100 yd line. I have to say, my precision rifle skills are lacking, Back in the the ol Marines they just expect you to hit a man size target from whatever range you needed to. This is tons of fun though. Feels like I’m shooting a laser rifle. The Strike eagle isn’t the best scope, but for me, it is pretty great. Feels good, easy to use, very clear, bright glass. The entire package definitely shoots better than I can.
Thought I would share my experience and some pics for Some bragging rights before I have my dumb question or two to ask. I’m happy to answer anything or if you see me out, feel free to stop and say hi.

two questions: I was having a horrible time keeping my bipod in the same place, the feet kept wanting to roll on me, and I didNt have a very sturdy platform. Felt like most of my upper body was trying to compensate for the bipod. I currently just use the rubber feet, can I upgrade my Harris rubber pads to something better? I’ve seen the hawk hill spike feet, are these worth investing in? Or is there something better?

question two: I’m wanting to get my Bull Barrel threaded for a compensator. Is there anyone you guys would suggest in the central OK to help me out with this? Also, what options do I have for compensators? I would like to match my bore OD. 71EB7368-6B9A-49D7-B5EB-F4B6EE1FCFCC.jpegF5981672-4832-431E-93B9-813AE462C094.jpeg
^^^that was 7 shots, with the 8th getting a little wild up there at 2 o clock. I hate to toot my own horn, but I’ve shot this well maybe 3 or 4 other times in my life.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bipods are for field use, for bench work get some proper sandbags and place under the front action screw. More solid rest. Not bad shooting really for a bipod on cement bench.

I built my son a custom 30-06 on a 98 Mauser action with nice figured walnut stock from Rheinhart-Fajen. Put a nice Leupold 3x9 on top. Did the standard bells and whistles custom work of the time for him. I started it when he shipped out to Marine Corps boot camp. Told him it would be ready when he got out. Finished it out about a month before he retired after 21 years of service. Kept my promise of having it ready when he got out.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have a Howa 1500 in 762/39 mounted in a blue laminate Boyd’s. It pillared and floated barrel. Did the same to a Ruger American in coyote laminated stock. The Howa out shoots the Ruger in the hands of everyone that has shot them. Howa is a best of bang for the buck rifles there is

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might try this the next time you go to Banner. Take 2 large "C" clamps and a 2x4 (about 3' long). Clamp the 2x4 to the top of the bench (hopefully Ryan will allow it). Place the rubber feet against the bottom of the 2x4. When you get into a shooting position apply slight forward pressure to the bipod. This is called "loading the bipod". Some shooters can do this without the 2x4.

You can see what I'm talking about below except I'm not using C-clamps.

Very nice shooting BTW.

photo5.JPG

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bipods are for field use, for bench work get some proper sandbags and place under the front action screw. More solid rest. Not bad shooting really for a bipod on cement bench.

I built my son a custom 30-06 on a 98 Mauser action with nice figured walnut stock from Rheinhart-Fajen. Put a nice Leupold 3x9 on top. Did the standard bells and whistles custom work of the time for him. I started it when he shipped out to Marine Corps boot camp. Told him it would be ready when he got out. Finished it out about a month before he retired after 21 years of service. Kept my promise of having it ready when he got out.
That’s awesome!!

Have a Howa 1500 in 762/39 mounted in a blue laminate Boyd’s. It pillared and floated barrel. Did the same to a Ruger American in coyote laminated stock. The Howa out shoots the Ruger in the hands of everyone that has shot them. Howa is a best of bang for the buck rifles there is

I’m a pretty big fan! I was torn between the Tikka T3 and the Howa, glad I went this route.

You might try this the next time you go to Banner. Take 2 large "C" clamps and a 2x4 (about 3' long). Clamp the 2x4 to the top of the bench (hopefully Ryan will allow it). Place the rubber feet against the bottom of the 2x4. When you get into a shooting position apply slight forward pressure to the bipod. This is called "loading the bipod". Some shooters can do this without the 2x4.

You can see what I'm talking about below except I'm not using C-clamps.

Very nice shooting BTW.

View attachment 166102

thank you! I’ll give it a shot next time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom