Aftermarket nitron/nitride finish?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just curious if there's a way to do this? I mean, it's not like Cerakote or something. Is there a way to get some kind of dark wet black looking finish that is slick as hell, like a nitrided barrel? On a full firearm, aftermarket? Local? Or is it something would have to be sent off and cost an arm and a leg to do?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The thing is that anyone that can salt bath nitride will need to have an FFL, IIRC. While you might find someone in Tulsa or OKC that does this heat treating they won't likely have the FFL or have experience in firearms unless they do parts for one of the manufacturers. I've got a pistol I've considered nitriding but I'll likely just send it to Fords or Metaloy for hard chrome.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The thing is that anyone that can salt bath nitride will need to have an FFL, IIRC. While you might find someone in Tulsa or OKC that does this heat treating they won't likely have the FFL or have experience in firearms unless they do parts for one of the manufacturers. I've got a pistol I've considered nitriding but I'll likely just send it to Fords or Metaloy for hard chrome.
It isn't recommended to treat a finished product by salt bathing them. You take a very good chance of ruining the steel

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It isn't recommended to treat a finished product by salt bathing them. You take a very good chance of ruining the steel
Nope. Temps aren't that high.
Salt Bath Nitriding/Nitrocarburizing was originally created as an alternative to gas nitriding that would produce a more uniform case through surface contact between the substrate and liquid salt. When steel parts are placed into a preheated liquid salt, there is sufficient energy localized near the surface due to differences in chemical potential that then allows nitrogen and carbon species to diffuse from the salt into the steel substrate. The process is carried out at 750-1050°F, making it faster than gas nitriding. Lower temperature cycles produce an S-Phase/Expanded Austenite case in stainless steels. Post-oxidation after nitriding combined with polishing produces coatings with exceptional appearance (black color) and high corrosion resistance (greater than electrolytic chrome plating). To ensure part quality, our salt baths are continuously monitored, with chemistry adjustments made when necessary.

https://www.ibccoatings.com/salt-bath-nitriding-ferritic-nitrocarburizing-dhn-dhfnc

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so then what other options are there for something similar? I mean, I'm willing to have the whole thing bead blasted or sand blasted, and I'm fine with Cerakote or something similar, but I really like the deep black and slick finish of nitrided barrels. Is there something else out there that is comparable and achievable?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so then what other options are there for something similar? I mean, I'm willing to have the whole thing bead blasted or sand blasted, and I'm fine with Cerakote or something similar, but I really like the deep black and slick finish of nitrided barrels. Is there something else out there that is comparable and achievable?
Appearance? I would think that Cerakote would do. It won't compare to the surface hardness though. A kydex holster will show exactly where the contact points are with heavy use. Don't get me wrong, it's a good finish, but it's not the same as nitride (Tenifer, Melanite, it's all pretty much the same). Even if you wear the black off of the surface of a nitride finish, it's still there. It's several thousandths deep into the surface and it'll take some pretty extreme wear to get through it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom