Aguila Super Extra HV 40 gr 22LR ammo is very decent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm seeing more of this stuff online. It's a high velocity round with a copper washed, round nosed 40 gr bullet, similar in appearance to CCI Mini Mags. In my experience it shoots well. It is hot enough and consistent enough to run well in most semi-autos, if not quite as rock solid as Mini-Mags. I have put a couple hundred rounds through my M&P 22 Compact without issues. My Marlin 60 ran about 98% with it. Runs perfectly in my .22 revolver, unsurprisingly.

Aguila uses Eley priming method so the ammo has the distinctive Eley smell when fired, kinda sweetish/ammonia odor. It doesn't bother me, but if you are among those who dislike it I would give this ammo a miss.

Overall I like it a lot and vendors tend to keep it at or under my magic $0.10/rd, which is more than you can say for Mini-Mags.

Click on "Standard" products at the Aguila link below, and the SE HV is the first product that will come up. (Note that I tend to find it with a red/gold/black package, like here: Aguila High Velocity Ammo 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Plated Lead Round .)

Rimfire | Aguila Ammunition

Just an FYI.

I would rate the Super Extra HV 40 gr above Winchester rimfire ammo, a notch below CCI, and at the level of non-bulk Federal rimfire. Definitely worth checking out.

ETA: Oops, might move to Ammo section, mods.

Last edited:

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a couple boxes of this at Big Boys, it shoots pretty much just like TallPrairie reports for me too. It was the same price as they sell CCI Mini mags for, 10 cents per round, the difference is, they had this stuff on the shelf. It's good ammo, I think TallPrairie nailed it.

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been shooting the Aguilla since the .22s ran dry since it was the only thing I could find at the time, and I bought a ton of it. I don't know if it equals CCI mini-mags but it beats the hell out of ANYTHING Remington. On a scale I give it a 9 out of 10.

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer Aguila over anything else, mainly because when I first start shooting suppressed .22LR, Aguila subsonic ammo was the only subsonic ammo that was available at Academy. I got used to shooting it, and my M&P 15-22 and Marlin 795 both eat it up like it's popcorn. The subsonic is REALLY quiet, and the Rifle Match and Super Extra Standard Velocity is quiet enough so that I can shoot it at 3am or 4am and not wake up my neighbors only a couple hundred feet away (suppressed, of course). I've gotten to where if CCI mini mags are available, I'll walk right by them and reach for the Aguila. Great ammo in my opinion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom