Ah, Boomer Memories of a Once Grand America

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember early 1970s, riding my bike in Tulsa, going to the Rexall drugstore to buy candy, walking to school, never worried about much except which kid might show up at the creek and want to fight.

Same area now has been the scene of numerous killings, robberies, etc... I wouldn't want to walk around there after dark.

I'm trying to figure out what changed?
See post #6. That will be your answer.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i will probably get beat up for saying this. we have backslid and allowed God to be taken out of our lives. so the rest is just normal in that atmosphere.

See post #6. That will be your answer.

So God was offended by our sin and sent swarms of heathens in to take over the neighborhoods?

Sounds legit.

autovon

Marksman
Banned
Reaction score
Starting just before the 21st century and deeper into the past, people spoke better English. People were politer and more well-dressed. Stores and shops were kept clean and presentable. There was no "Squal-mart" image. People had a strong work ethic, a strong sense of community and strong sense of family unit. City streets were well-swept and beautified. Infrastructure was in good repair. Neighborhood lawns were well-mown, green and well-weeded. There wasn't much in the way of a widespread "slum" culture. It wasn't fashionable to dress like a convict, bum or homeless person. Housing was plentiful and affordable. Cars did look prettier. Appliances and stuff did last longer. A decent new or used car was easier for lower-income people to come by for solid personal transportation. The mechanical simplicity of older automobiles meant they were easier to work on and cost less to upkeep. People were more face-to-face social. We did not have geeky introversion barrier as global connectivity. It was a simpler lifestyle overall. People were more physically active and more in tune with the outdoors.
Yup, all those things of yesteryear were true… if you were white.

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Starting just before the 21st century and deeper into the past, people spoke better English. People were politer and more well-dressed. Stores and shops were kept clean and presentable. There was no "Squal-mart" image. People had a strong work ethic, a strong sense of community and strong sense of family unit. City streets were well-swept and beautified. Infrastructure was in good repair. Neighborhood lawns were well-mown, green and well-weeded. There wasn't much in the way of a widespread "slum" culture. It wasn't fashionable to dress like a convict, bum or homeless person. Housing was plentiful and affordable. Cars did look prettier. Appliances and stuff did last longer. A decent new or used car was easier for lower-income people to come by for solid personal transportation. The mechanical simplicity of older automobiles meant they were easier to work on and cost less to upkeep. People were more face-to-face social. We did not have geeky introversion barrier as global connectivity. It was a simpler lifestyle overall. People were more physically active and more in tune with the outdoors.
I was born in 1949 and remember my early years with fond memory's....People sure were happier back in the 50's....I think our downhill movement started in the 1960's and we've been on a down hill move ever since. Pray for our neighbors and our country to once again be one nation under GOD indivisible with liberty and justice for all....

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What really bothers me is we keep electing the same people with no ethics.
As long as they use our tax dollars to give to those that vote for them they'll remain in office. It's really a pretty good deal for the politicians, they don't use any of their money and yet enrich themselves.

autovon

Marksman
Banned
Reaction score
And yet there was no mass exodus of non-whites to leave this awful place. Hell, as racist and oppressive as this place still is, non-whites are STILL clamoring to immigrate here to be mistreated.
Lots of reasons for this. Here are a few:

- it’s hard to leave someplace without means
- just bc a place is bad doesn’t mean another place is better
- sometimes one doesn’t know how bad a place is until they get there

I’m not saying the good ole US of A is bad, but it sure could be better. And going back to how it was in the 1950s or some other time likely isn’t good for all Americans. And isn’t that what we want, for things to be good for ALL Americans? Or is it too late for that and now everyone is clamoring to choose sides and reject those who look/act/smell different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom