Aimed at no particular person

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So where do all the bullets go when you miss?
Hope theres no house in those woods and they are on your property.
Hate for those to be my woods and somebody start firing down thru there when I'm going for a walk.
Theres an old saying "be sure of your target and be sure of your backstop"
Woods don't stop all bullets.

I've noticed a lot of photos and videos on OSA and youtube of people shooting places with no backstop and don't seem to realize how far those bullets travel.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
just say who it is, we all saw the picture and wondered why he did not move it down and over so he would be shooting into the hill side.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Where have the millions of .22 projectiles gone that have missed squirrels in the tree tops since it's creation? And ML projectiles before that?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Nope. I guess i'm not following your initial statement.

Just that there's been millions of rounds shot into the air with no back stop over the years without a second thought. There are some statistics out there about being injured by a stray bullet. Not promoting irresponsible shooting practices, but we don't know what was beyond that target, I bet the shooter did.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quite a few years back I was at a boat ramp on Ft. Gibson lake standing just in front of my boat right at the waters edge. Calm day, noticed little splash no more than 12 inches from my foot that was at the waters edge. Easy to see, different than the almost white gravel at that location. Reached down and it was a .45 slug. I had not heard a shot. Most likely the speed might not have penetrated my skin, but sure could have done some eye damage.

Rare there is a problem, but I feel my bullets are my responsibility at least until they stop moving wherever I shoot them. I pick up most of my brass out in the field where several of us shoot also. I am sure I miss some, do not scrounge for all of them, but with just a quick once over I easily pick up more than I leave behind every time I shoot.

I have to drive the edge of some Official Wildlife Hunting areas to get in and out of my house. I always wonder what might come out of the woods. Animals or bullets? Fortunately the hunters park along the same roadway and might be conscious they might not want to be shooting toward their own vehicle.

The responsibility levels of different people vary.

Latest posts

Top Bottom