Air compressor blows up safety warning.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGS1

I'm Retired, Do It Yourself.
Special Hen
Reaction score
710d6e3ffd3247a63ec783211bb4cef5-duct-tape-ducktales-theme-parody.jpg

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's funny that a thread on rusted out compressor tanks should pop up right now. My 25 year old 60 Gal. compressor developed a pinhole in the bottom. I drained it often but obviously not often enough.

I saved the motor(6 horse), the compressor with all the 'plumbing', and salvaged the mounting plate off the top. I bought a new 30 gal. propane tank and welded up a frame to hold it all. Since the propane tank doesn't have a drain in the bottom, I plumed it with a siphon tube that reaches the bottom and added a ball valve to 'blow out' any water that might accumulate. It will be real convenient to 'purge' out any water daily by simply opening the ball valve for a second or two every time it gets used. Before, you had to get down on your hands and knees and reach under to drain it.

Propane tanks are rated much higher than regular air compressor tanks due to the higher pressure propane can get to in hot weather. My compressor is set up to run at 125 psi., so I feel comfortable with the setup.

I should have it completed and ready to run tomorrow. If I live, I'll let you know how it does. I might even post a picture.

Woody

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been around several that rusted through and leaked. I've welded patches on em to get by. Our engine drive compressor tank failed a couple years ago so we torched the mounting bracket and welded it to a pristine looking compressor that had been bought at an auction. The motor was no good. Got it all welded and plumbed and boy we was smiling as she was building pressure. Then the hissing started. It had the prettiest red paint you ever seen but evidently that paint was about all that was holding the air in. We wound up torching all the mounting brackets off again and mounting it on a big vertical compressor that we laid horizontal. Yes, I pressure tested it before we went through the trouble of all the converting on that one.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Draining the compressor tank was an end-of-day PM every day at the place I worked. The department supervisor was responsible for that & the oil change PM. The service drop lines also had collector cups to keep water out of the tools.

Latest posts

Top Bottom