Air compressor pump?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My pump took a dump over the weekend. It's a 60 gallon, 5HP(22A) motor. I bought this thing used, cheap, and don't mind spending the money on a good pump. I'm going to drag it out of the corner this weekend and inspect the tank to make sure it is worthy of an upgraded pump.

I've looked around online, a lot, and there seems to be a slew of import pumps, with varying prices and warranties. I've also looked at a number of online compressor houses with some really nice pumps. The one on the top of my list right now is a 2 stage inline 2 cylinder. The company seems reputable, and they have a 5 year parts warranty which no one else has.

Before I pull the trigger on this thing I thought I would ask the OSA community for any experiences on compressor pump replacement, good or bad?

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
Yeah, sounds like it ate a rod. As long as the tank isn't rusted through anywhere and you can get all the connections to seal correctly, there's no reason why you can't replace the pump. Most pumps are kinda-sorta universal so if the motor will synch up (pulleys line up and mounts work) and turn it, you're good. It is a belt-drive unit I presume, and not a direct drive, as that will take more modification and fabrication work.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, sounds like it ate a rod. As long as the tank isn't rusted through anywhere and you can get all the connections to seal correctly, there's no reason why you can't replace the pump. Most pumps are kinda-sorta universal so if the motor will synch up (pulleys line up and mounts work) and turn it, you're good. It is a belt-drive unit I presume, and not a direct drive, as that will take more modification and fabrication work.

It's a belt drive, and I'm aware of rotation direction requirements, and RPM limits, may have to replace the motor pulley depending on the pump I buy.

I appreciate the responses, really looking for any suggestions on sources for pumps, or if we have any OSA folks that are in this business.

Thanks

Rains

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to check it and see, think it threw a rod...

Locked up and dumped the oil.

gotcha.....

It's just a crapshoot buying "quality" machine parts anymore without spending an arm and a leg. I know a good 2 stage Kellog pump is gonna run about 500 bucs, BUT you can't hardly tell anymore what parts are actually outsourced to Mexico,etc when it comes to pumps. Be sure to buy the pump that has the CFM rating your looking for too, NOT HP output as that is rated at peak electrical draw at startup.

Believe it or not we have been having real good luck with Puma's. They are good and very quiet.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
gotcha.....

It's just a crapshoot buying "quality" machine parts anymore without spending an arm and a leg. I know a good 2 stage Kellog pump is gonna run about 500 bucs, BUT you can't hardly tell anymore what parts are actually outsourced to Mexico,etc when it comes to pumps. Be sure to buy the pump that has the CFM rating your looking for too, NOT HP output as that is rated at peak electrical draw at startup.

Believe it or not we have been having real good luck with Puma's. They are good and very quiet.

Funny, this is a Puma, have been happy with it so far, but it had a lot of miles on it when I got it. And the pump had been repaired before(3 cyl). It's served me well for the $200 I paid for it. This one however has always been really noisy, the pump I am considering is supposed to be fairly quiet, 72DB.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
depending on who made it and what went wrong it might be a easy repair. A while back I looked around for our company and almost pulled the trigger on one from eatoncompressor.com. seemed to be the best for the money. If you want something a "little " bigger I'll make ya hell of a deal on a 35HP or 45HP ( I cant remember which ) Atlas Rotary compressor =) let me know If you want a hand taking apart the one you have

Some thoughts......

Consider spending a little money and get the tank Hydro'd b4 you invest in new pump

Make sure the pump you buy is designed to operate the best for the design pressure of your tank

Make sure the motor speed you have will / can work with the new pump

like you I also have a older 5 hp 60 Gallon compressor Ive done my best to kill it and it just wont die. One of these days I'm planning to replace it with a bigger Quincy

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
depending on who made it and what went wrong it might be a easy repair. A while back I looked around for our company and almost pulled the trigger on one from eatoncompressor.com. seemed to be the best for the money. If you want something a "little " bigger I'll make ya hell of a deal on a 35HP or 45HP ( I cant remember which ) Atlas Rotary compressor =) let me know If you want a hand taking apart the one you have

Some thoughts......

Consider spending a little money and get the tank Hydro'd b4 you invest in new pump

Make sure the pump you buy is designed to operate the best for the design pressure of your tank

Make sure the motor speed you have will / can work with the new pump

like you I also have a older 5 hp 60 Gallon compressor Ive done my best to kill it and it just wont die. One of these days I'm planning to replace it with a bigger Quincy

The pump from Eaton is #1 so far...

Good suggestion on the tank, any suggestion on who could do it?

I'm kind of on the fence on the tank, hate to spend $600 or so on a pump to put on a tank that will die in a year or two...

Using the DA to polish the edge of some granite killed mine, we were trying to get it done, and didn't give the old compressor much of a break.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The compressor MFG I recommended sells them on ebay and have real good feedback

The only recommendation I have to get a hydro would be airgas. If yours is no good or fails I think I have 3 or so really good ones in storage that came from a big industrial building we bought

Latest posts

Top Bottom