Air/Pellet Gun Recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The last B.B./Pellet gun I owned was a Crossman 760 over twenty years ago. I need some opinions for a quiet as possible yet powerful B.B./Pellet Gun. I’ve got some tree rats trying to invade my house and I intend on putting up a fight. My only other option at the moment is .22 shorts with a registered can and I’d rather not go that route.

I know there are different types of power. C02, spring and pump. I’ve looked at the Gamo Whisper, but I don’t know if their claim to silence is true.

Help

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trap them. Not as much fun but works pretty well. I got 11 of the suckers last spring in 2 weeks. Atwoods live trap and sunflower seeds.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The gamo whisper is as loud as an unsuppressed .22 short if not louder. Buddy has one that he fights urban squirrels with.
The faster they are, the louder they are. Some approaching supersonic speeds now.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’d go with an RWS 34 in 22 cal for the money. Several .177’s are supersonic and loud. The 22 cal carries more energy at lower speeds and the 34 is a very consistent, decent quality air rifle that will last.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Killed many rabbits and squirrels with the 760 the 880 and 856.
I would get an 880 if i had to replace my pump gun.
I had a winchester $100 break barrel and accuracy was not any better.. yes it was faster.
But does not take much to kill a small critter.
The barrel was actually bent in the up direction on the winchester break barrel.
All the way to 70 yards the BB or pelet would shoot higher and higher.
Maybe I got a lemon. it was very accurate if shot from the same distance every time. Very accurate.

I eventually took the barrel and bent it down and fixed the issue.
I wonder if breaking the barrel open and closed all those times just made the situation worse..I sold it and continue to use an old 856.

You can trap them with some pretty cool traps. You can google trapping squirrels.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
The gamo whisper is as loud as an unsuppressed .22 short if not louder. Buddy has one that he fights urban squirrels with.
The faster they are, the louder they are. Some approaching supersonic speeds now.
I agree, I have a gamo quiet cat. It's anything but quiet. My go to squirrel gun is a vintage Benjamin 22 from the 60's. Has enough punch to take out a squirrel without getting the neighbors nervous.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_1260.PNG
The cz 200 line of guns consistently wins the stock class at the gun club.

trickydick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have Benjamin Prowler nitro piston in .177, it's killed dozens of rats, very accurate and quite. I think it was $120 at Academy it only goes supersonic with the light pellets which I don't bother with. The scope that came on it is a fixed 4power and kinda a pos, I am looking for a 50mm scope for it as rat hunting is normally in the twilight hours.

Latest posts

Top Bottom