AIWB Skills Class. December 10th 9-5 BDC Gun Room. Shawnee

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
In and looking forward to it. If you carry AIWB and haven't taken this class, you should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Class is getting close get signed up.

Here is a few AAR's on the class.

From F3 Tactical ( FB page) Culpepper VA.

APPENDIX CARRY SKILLS with Spencer Keepers of Keepers Concealment is an excellent class for anyone new, experienced, or even just thinking about getting into the lifestyle of carrying a concealed handgun, Appendix Inside the Waistband, otherwise known as AIWB.
Spencer is a down to Earth, mild mannered and very even tempered dude from Oklahoma. He speaks softly but he's an extremely effective communicator, which enables him to get his message across without any "Drill Instructor" shenanigans that might turn some folks off. It's easy to see that Spencer truly believes in his craft, and he seems to REALLY enjoy working with others while watching them learn. John Murphy describes him best; "Spencer teaches from the heart." I found that to be exactly the case!
This class had a total of 18 students, two relays filled with law enforcement, military, and legally armed "Joe&Jill Citizens." The weather was brutally hot throughout this course at the FPF Training facility, but Spencer made sure everyone had time to hydrate and fuel-up throughout the day. Despite the extreme heat, each student stayed motivated and kept up with the pace of the course with no safety concerns or issues.
APPENDIX CARRY SKILLS starts with a brief which includes firearms safety fundamentals/rules and emergency plans for injured students and/or staff. Spencer gives a brief overview of his background, his philosophy about carrying AIWB, and a short, broad discussion about gear choices. Then, it's time to shoot!
"......for when you find yourself in a Walmart parking lot again at 2am because you made poor life choices and didn't buy enough bacon to begin with!" -Spencer Keepers
I found the pace of this class to be extremely comfortable. Spencer utilizes the crawl, walk, run method and I felt like the students were moving at the perfect pace to learn new skills, practice them slowly/efficiently, then smoothly transition into live fire under a timer. Spencer gives a block of instruction, demonstrates his own ability to complete the drill, and then walks the line helping each student hone their own skill sets. He takes the time to visit with EACH AND EVERY STUDENT throughout this course, which is very rewarding to everyone IMHO. This class includes lessons in draw strokes, drawing and shooting while seated, reloads, cover garments, gear choices, sighting techniques, one handed gun manipulations and a whole lot more. There is a lot to cover in this one-day course, but Spencer makes the most of his available time.
There is some classroom work where Spencer discusses his own holster designs from Keepers Concealment (available here; http://keepersconcealment.com/shop/ ) and his philosophies on carrying concealed, AIWB. Spencer also talks quite a bit about holsters from other manufacturers, and how those might be conducive to other body types, lifestyles, training/working environments etc. This class is NOT about any ONE method or holster, but about MANY aspects of AIWB concealed carry and gear choices. To learn more about Spencer and his training program, you can read all about that and more, here: http://keepersconcealment.com/ .
One interesting thing to note about Spencer is that he is extremely humble. This AIWB carry program came together from Spencer's own experiences training with others, and he was very particular when giving credit to folks like John Farnam of DEFENSE TRAINING INTERNATIONAL, Craig Douglas of Shivworks, Ernest Langdon of Langdon Tactical, Inc. and Tom Givens of Rangemaster, among others. Those training experiences and relationships have molded Spencer's own AIWB course into a well rounded curriculum which develops each student at their own pace. He gives many accolades throughout the class to those who have shaped his own skills and philosophies along the way as well.
I found this class to be immensely enjoyable to observe. Spencer's teaching style is very smooth and deliberate, without any bravado whatsoever. He never talks of "absolutes" as in, "never do this" and "always do that" which I find refreshing. Spencer instructs from experience, and he teaches from the heart. All in all, I HIGHLY recommend this class to anyone who carries AIWB........and even of you don't
wink.png

Special thanks to John Murphy for allowing us the use of his range, and to Spencer Keepers for allowing me to tag along for this awesome training opportunity. It was well worth spending my day off with Spencer, John, and those motivated students, I can't wait to do it again! - Jimmy Smith, F3 Tactical, Inc. and F3 Tactical Training

From "SHOOT the gun" ( FB page) Albuquerque. NM.

An important part of my evolution as an instructor is attending classes. I had an opportunity to take Spencer Keepers' AIWB Skills Class in Rio Rancho, NM yesterday.

Spencer is the proprietor of Keepers Concealment and designer of the Keeper, Keeper Light, and Errand holsters.

Spencer is an authority on the subject of Appendix Carry. His experience building purpose-driven holsters and using them for daily carry as well as in classes and competitions has shaped his understanding of the topic. Equally important is his work with his vast customer base, making this carry method accessible to all interested parties.

Class started on time with Spencer introducing himself, giving enough background information to frame his approach to the material. He asked students to introduce themselves, about prior training, and how familiar they were with appendix carry.

I have mixed feelings about introductions, but it was absolutely appropriate in this case due to the specialized nature of the coursework.

During an in-depth safety briefing Spencer explained the rules and range procedures. He addressed the real and perceived dangers of appendix carry and compared them to other popular methods. He demonstrated with a SIRT training "pistol" to illustrate critical points. Even with the inert training "gun" Spencer was careful and conscientious about his muzzle control. He established rules and best practices then followed them consistently.

The shooting portion was an overview of pistol shooting basics. The drills were designed to check the students ability to hit chest, head, and eye socket sized targets at reasonable defensive distances from a concealed AIWB holster. This was a skills class built around the AIWB carry system, how the gun-holster-belt package works together. Spencer coached each shooter in areas of safety and efficiency with their personal gear and methods.

Every technique Spencer demonstrated was explained clearly. The pros and cons were addressed and all were high-probability and broadly applicable.

Spencer offered expert advice and insight during the lecture portion of the class. He had several examples of suboptimal gear choices and took time to evaluate gear that students brought. This could easily have devolved into a Keepers infomercial but Spencer stuck to principles and praised good gear even when a competitor made it. He freely acknowledges that his products aren't for every body, just most of them.

Spencer has the heart of a teacher. It is who he is. This being only the fourth time he has taught this class, his delivery was solid and he accomplished all he set out to do even with a short delay for weather. The rookie shooter learned a lot and walked away with greater confidence. The experienced shooters honed their abilities and increased their competency. The instructors in attendance deepened their understanding of the topic and picked up some tips that may help students down the road.

I thought it was time and money well spent. I found value in the material and thoroughly enjoyed spending the day with Spencer and his lovely wife Stacy. I look forward to seeing how this program evolves and I intend to host this class in the Midwest in the near future.

Be safe and hard to kill!

Latest posts

Top Bottom