AK-74 Maintenance bore rods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody experienced with cleaning equipment for 5.45MM X 39MM? Just wondering, A .20 caliber bore? Smaller than any cleaning rod I’ve ever seen, except for .177 pellet rifle rods. The rods that I’ve seen on AK’s are too short to be of any practical use. How do you clean an AK-74, AK-12?

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.22 cal bore snake. I have never seen a AK cleaning rod that came with a rifle that was too short to clean the barrel
I don’t dispute your word on those cleaning rod lengths, it’s just my experience with a couple of Arsenal Inc. AK platform carbines was confounding, confusing. The rods slid into the under barrel storage area were 3-4” too short. Do you also say .22 caliber rods will fit into 5.45MM bore? Just measured the rod that came on my Arsenal SA M-7 7.62 X 39 carbine. Rod is 15 3/4”, barrel including flash suppressor is 17 3/4”. I use one of my 26”-30” one piece rods to stroke that 30 cal bore out. I did buy a AK cleaning kit packaged in a metal tube to stow in the hollow butt models, which I don’t have. The little short section of rod that is included with that kit screws on and barely makes the length needed for the 7.62 caliber.

Last edited:

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t dispute your word on those cleaning rod lengths, it’s just my experience with a couple of Arsenal Inc. AK platform carbines was confounding, confusing. The rods slid into the under barrel storage area were 3-4” too short. Do you also say .22 caliber rods will fit into 5.45MM bore? Just measured the rod that came on my Arsenal SA M-7 7.62 X 39 carbine. Rod is 15 3/4”, barrel including flash suppressor is 17 3/4”. I use one of my 26”-30” one piece rods to stroke that 30 cal bore out. I did buy a AK cleaning kit packaged in a metal tube to stow in the hollow butt models, which I don’t have. The little short section of rod that is included with that kit screws on and barely makes the length needed for the 7.62 caliber.
They should. 5.45 is only 2 thousands of an inch smaller than 223. As for length, AK muzzle devices are made to be easy on, easy off.

Also Dont confuse barrel length with the length of the bore. The chamber is included in barrel length but not the bore length

Latest posts

Top Bottom