Ak-74 Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodoleboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I decided to get a Bulgarian Ak74 Got a few Questions.
First are Ak74 mags universal to work with all makes of the ak74 from different countires of manufaucter like the AK47 mags? Are some mags better than others as in Bulgarian, Russian ect as far quality?

Ammo

Second whats ammo is pretty decent to fire through the 74 with 16.50" barrel?
All I am finding at most online places now is Russian. If I hit the Gun show next week, what ammo should I look for and stay away from? Whats the going rate for a tin of 1080rds surplus corrosive ammo?

Thanks!

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but what I've read has pointed to the Russian mags as being the best as far as quality goes. But they're also more expensive than mags from other countries.

As for ammo, the Russian military surplus stuff is GTG since it was designed for AK-74's with 16" barrels. It's steel-cored though, so keep that in mind if you go to ranges that prohibit the use of such ammo. The Bulgarian surplus stuff is the same design, and I've not heard about any problems with it. If you can find a sealed 1080-round tin of Russian for $120, you're doing very well; perhaps a bit less for the Bulgarian stuff. I'd expect to see prices around $140-150 at gun shows, though.

pak-40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Copes distributing has a pretty good deal on 5.45

Russian 5.45x39 Surplus ammunition. 53grn full copper plated steel jacketed bullet, lacquer coated steel case, and berdan primer. Packaged 30rds/box, 1,080rds to a sealed "spam" can... Two(2) Cans per Crate. This is corrosive. At this time we are only taking PHONE ORDERS for this ammo. You can not order this ammo on our online store. Price is $249.99 per crate. plus exact UPS Freight. To phone in your order please call 1-866-523-2673.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have East German bakelites, Russian plums, Bulgarian browns, and a Bulgarian black that came with the rifle. They all work well, but the brown mags are a little tight in the well though they seem to work well otherwise. The EG's and Russians work best for me.

I believe the Polish Tantal mags will work as well but they don't seem to be real common at the moment.

Latest posts

Top Bottom