AK at Kissing Distance with Sonny Puzikas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure he's really a good guy and definatly didn't intend to shoot someone but like Michael said it was pure negligence. Good on him for taking full responsibilty. People need to know these things though, gun safety is not a joke.

FWIW, I didn't take issue with the message, but the poor attempt at levity. :(

GroupGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did I miss something? Someone died in a training class with?

Looks like he shot an Assistant Instructor, 3 times, towards the end of one of his training classes. Google it and you'll learn more. Good news is it appears the guy will make a recovery. Sounds like Sonny was shooting a 9mm. If he'd been using an AK it would have been an even worse ending.

tacmedic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LET ME BE PERFECTLY CLEAR...I was at the class when the incident occurred, I am friends with both parties involved, and I took care of the injured party until he went into surgery. I FIND NOTHING FUNNY ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED. Sonny has made no attempt to escape responsibility or hide anything. In fact he is putting all the facts out there to help others learn from his mistake. So if any of you trolls want to talk **** or make jokes please have the balls to stop hiding behind a keyboard, PM me and I'll be happy to meet you and discuss it in person.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
LET ME BE PERFECTLY CLEAR...I was at the class when the incident occurred, I am friends with both parties involved, and I took care of the injured party until he went into surgery. I FIND NOTHING FUNNY ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED. Sonny has made no attempt to escape responsibility or hide anything. In fact he is putting all the facts out there to help others learn from his mistake. So if any of you trolls want to talk **** or make jokes please have the balls to stop hiding behind a keyboard, PM me and I'll be happy to meet you and discuss it in person.

Glad you were there to help! Knowing your skills, it may have been the difference in keeping that guy alive long enough to get to surgery.

Any insight to what happened? Maybe this should go to a new thread, but I am sure there are lessons to learn from this incident.

One of the first things I am taking away is that our community should start acting like mature adults in how we respond to stories like this, rather than just busting on a guy when crap happens. Until you are perfect, try to ease up on other less than perfect people huh? Far too many people's first reaction is to bust on people without knowing all the details. For the record, I don't know any of the people involved, except for Tacmedic and only barely know him.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I stated right up front, I find nothing funny about this. It's not the place to make a joke. However, and I don't think this is happening, we don't need the training community closing ranks to support lax safety protocols, particularly where shoot houses are concerned. A shoot house with live fire is a deadly serious affair. Simply put, some trainers have no business teaching open enrollment classes in a shoot house. If you think for some reason you need such training, partake by all means. But do your research first. I'd also highly suggest using armor for any class utilizing a shoot house. Finally, make sure you have a good IFAK. This is vital to your survival shoud you take a hit. Don't expect someone else to cover your needs.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

“I was standing out front of the shoot house talking with students. I was taking some money and shaking hands and saying bye to students. I had heard the last shooter’s number called out, #41. (It seems that 41 was the last student that day) So I knew the last shooter was going inside to shoot. I heard the shooting stop. I did not hear shooting for a while. I finished saying good-bye so I decided to make a run in the house before I left. I made the statement, “I am going to do a run” and then I heard a person standing behind me respond to me saying, “OK” I did not turn around so I don’t know who said OK to me. I, wrongfully, assumed it was clear to go. I pulled my pistol out and set up and started coming around the corner like this.

This is exactlly why shoot house protocols must be hard and fast rules. The failure here could be viewed as a single point failure, rather than a cascading event. Lack of protocols and their implementation. If you're running a shoot house and you don't have them in place, here's your sign. :(

tacmedic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To expand on what Mitch Rapp shared,

Yes there are several lessons to be learned. Some of which I do not feel are my
place to share because they are coming directly from Sonny.

In the time I have known him, Sonny has always been open to questions,
challenges, and learning. Anyone who wants to critique him or critique anyone
needs to have the balls to do it openly, professionally, and respectfully.
They need to establish facts and go from there, not with ignorance and speculation.
That's what professionals do.

Those of you who want to build yourself up by tearing someone else down are truly pathetic and will never amount to ****, But I am glad you are spending your time posting and not procreating.

Lesson I can and will share:

NEVER say it won't happen to you
TRUST BUT VERIFY..even when dealing with those you know and have trained with before.
ALWAYS have an emergency medical plan. The more detailed the better. Get training, have the proper kit, and know what emergency assets and services are in your training area.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
:smack:

Latest posts

Top Bottom