AK Pistol Rear Sling Swivel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess this is the appropriate forum...

I had a zastava M92 pistol a few years ago and after slicking it up I sold it, one of the few guns I miss. So I decided to buy another one today and im already planning out how to modify it. My plans are to put on a krink break, rear sling attachment, then antique it to look sort of like a Balkan battlefield pickup.

Here is a polish AK that I antiqued and one of my favorite project guns ever.

I added a magpul single point sling to the rear of my last AK pistol and it was fine and dandy but I want this one to be more AKish with a 2 point traditional AK sling. I was thinking about drilling 2 holes on the left side of the receiver near the back and securing a surplus AK swivel with some machine screws and nuts (and red Loctite of course). something like what you would see on a wood butt stock...

d_935.jpg

It would be awesome if I could attach it with rivets but I don't have the tools or the knowledge :(

thoughts and ideas? Im open to suggestions.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well I decided to cut a slot in the receiver and put in an east german sling swivel. You cut out a slot then insert the tab and bend the ears down to secure it the receiver. I guess that's how the Yugo M70s came originally. ill post up some before and after pics

[Broken External Image]

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well after ordering the above swivel I realized the rear trunnion was too thick to insert and bend/butterfly the tabs...not that I could get to them anyway. So I decided to drill and tap at the very rear of the receiver so I could use a regular AK swivel (like what is found in a wood butt stock) as a single or 2 point sling attachment. So I was tapping the holes with a 6-32 tap and SNAP, broke it off flush with the trunnion :( I tried 2 different taps going mega slow and i think the diameter is just too small and fragile for how hard that gun was. So I said F it and got the welder out and welded the swivel to the gun. Its not as clean as I had hoped but it goes with the overall theme of the gun.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have any pics from the rear of the receiver? My M92 is already an SBR, but I haven't drilled the trunnion for a stock and I'd like to check out your set up.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drilled 2 holes in the rear trunnion and was attempting to thread them with a 6-32 tap when it snapped off flush with the back of the gun...no way to get it out and I was just making a mess of things back there trying to retrieve it. SO considering the theme of the gun I decided to mig weld the swivel plate in the inside of the holes as seen...I would never do this to a "clean" gun but it looks fine for this one.

If doing it over again I would have used a larger sized tap. The #6 is too small in diameter to handle the torque needed to thread the trunnion.

Question...could one legally rest their face on the sling while shooting the gun? With my exact setup, one could have the sling around ones right shoulder and hold the gun up with enough tension to rest their cheek comfortably on the sling.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea its ugly but I had to improvise and it is solid as a rock. Im no welder obviously but it is functional and i am satisfied with how the gun turned out overall. Had the tap not broken it would have looked pretty clean, the screws I had set into the swivel plate perfectly and I had planned on antiquing them as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom