AK series rifles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wait...what?!??!? You've had it 3 years and never fired it??!?!??
Why the F*** did you even buy it?
I didn't have one.

I have lots of guns I've never fired; probably >20 (and much nicer, more expensive stuff than this).

LOL, a better question would be why did I buy that HK91 on Sunday. I already had one of those. I haven't fired the first one, but for some reason I needed another.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Holy monkey balls. I can't get behind that.
I have well over 1k rounds through all but 2 of the guns I own. 1 is new (october) and I haven't reached that mark yet, only at about 500 so far, the other is a black powder target pistol my grandfather built before he died in 86' and that's only because it scares me. It has a 1oz trigger and no trigger guard.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lately I've been on an AR kick, but a few years back it was AKs. (Siide folder, over folder, pistol, bulpup, tacticool.410, 12 gauge, etc.) I don't know that I like one a lot more than the other but the AR seems more "refined" and the AK seems more "rugged." My love for the SKS lead me to the AK and my love for the AK lead me to the 7.62 x 39 AR. And the beat goes on....

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if an AK says MAK90, it is a post ban gun and supposed to have the butt hole stock PERIOD...I don't know how many times at gun shops or shows I have had guys try to sell me their $1,200 "pre-ban" Chinese ak that says mak90 on the side. That is an early b-west import and looks similar to the type 756s7's that came with a thumbhole stock but retained the evil cleaning rod and had the ears ground off of the bayo lug...because without a knife on the end of your semi auto gun...its not very deadly.

looks like a super nice gun man but it isn't what I would consider a collectors AK and it deserves to be shot. if those are Chinese mags they hold a premium over others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have well over 1k rounds through all but 2 of the guns I own. 1 is new (october) and I haven't reached that mark yet, only at about 500 so far, the other is a black powder target pistol my grandfather built before he died in 86' and that's only because it scares me. It has a 1oz trigger and no trigger guard.

Before I downsized, I had perhaps two dozen M1 Garands and a dozen M1 Carbines; out of all those, I think I shot three or four. The rest were correction projects if worthy, otherwise I just researched them. Once I came to my senses, I sold most of them and bought firearms I actually shoot.

The main reason I don't shoot more is because my gun club is an hour drive each way. I have things I need to accomplish that would make better use of those two hours.

OT, I have had four AK's and RPK's, and half a dozen AR's, and I have to say the AR platform suits me better. I do still have an Arsenal AK-74, and that one is pretty accurate and enjoyable to shoot.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before I downsized, I had perhaps two dozen M1 Garands and a dozen M1 Carbines; out of all those, I think I shot three or four. The rest were correction projects if worthy, otherwise I just researched them. Once I came to my senses, I sold most of them and bought firearms I actually shoot.

The main reason I don't shoot more is because my gun club is an hour drive each way. I have things I need to accomplish that would make better use of those two hours.

OT, I have had four AK's and RPK's, and half a dozen AR's, and I have to say the AR platform suits me better. I do still have an Arsenal AK-74, and that one is pretty accurate and enjoyable to shoot.

I am in a similar boat Todd. As far as long guns are concerned I've become more of a collector than shooter due to the circumstance of not having anywhere convenient to shoot. I used to frequent Banner Road, but I no longer feel that it is safe to do so. This compounded with now having two little ones under the age of two has drastically reduced any range time that I have anyway. At this point I have five rifles on hand that have not yet seen range use and another that hasn't been shot in a year which has an optic installed that still needs sighted in. Because of this I've been steadily downsizing my collection and have picked up a couple S&W revolvers as my primary shooters.

I actually just sold my only AK platform rifle and picked up the A2 HBAR in the photo below last week. I really need to find some time over Christmas to take it to my brother's range near Pauls Valley and see if I can do it any justice.

i.imgur.com_gfgmy1Uh.jpg

Last edited:

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not really a fan of AK rifles. The sights suck, getting a decent mount for optics sucks, trigger slap sucks, short handguard sucks, hitting at distance sucks

The trigger slap can be corrected.

Don't know why you'd be scared of it. The match gun you had before the M&P you use now had a lighter trigger. That one scared me.

I've shot that gun before. All you need is some .45 cal lead balls, black powder, percussion caps and a dowel you can use as a ramrod. Give me a call when you want to try it and I'll help you get the stuff together.

Latest posts

Top Bottom