AK Talk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
better triggers, receivers are thicker, 1.5mm vs 1mm on most AKMs as well as having thicker barrels. The Chinese AKs were made at factories (using the word factory loosely) that had a history of producing military grade weapons...80% of the AKs in the US were assembled or in some way modified by CIA (century) contractors...who often times just honey badgered the guns together. The Chinese guns (including mak-90s) were made from NEW parts and numbers matching upon importation...unlike once again the century guns that are mismatched parts from big bins of scrapped worn out rifles. On top of that they were blued and beautiful...about every AK you buy today has poop bbq black coating. And the icing on the cake is they don't make them anymore...demand for AK variants has been huge the past handful of years and the supply (of Chinese guns) is stagnant.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep - former President Clinton put the kibosh on Chinese imports in 1994, so there have been no Chinese AKs or SKSs brought in since then. What's here is here, and that's all there's going to be. The rifles above are "pre-ban" (pre-1989), so they have ALL Chinese parts, retain their bayonet lugs, and are legal to be in "military configuration" without having to add a bunch of junk US-made parts. There is also likely much fewer of them in circulation. Pulling the fire control group on a Chinese AKM and subbing a US-made parts kills one of the nicest, smoothest triggers in all of the AK kingdom. Even the post-ban MAK-90s and NHM-90s retain that smooth Chi-Com trigger group. The MAKs are just modified to meet the then-new "assault weapons ban" by removing the bayo lugs, replacing the furniture with a thumbhole stock, and remarking them with "MAK90", "sporter", or some other such foolishness. Still very good rifles.

I love the Chinese AKs, and I still know many that poo-poo them for being "Chinese junk". But as time has passed, many have softened to that rhetoric, and have discovered that they are indeed some of the better AKMs (and SKSs) that ever hit our shores. And as for those that like to say, "I remember when those were $XXX all day long; I wouldn't pay that much for one" need to remember that once upon a time, a '66 Shelby Mustang was under $10,000, too. Go pick one of those up in good condition for that now.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
www.mouseguns.com_mak90web_ad90s.jpg

aint this a b*tch

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the nicest AK's being offered currently is the Century Arms C39V2. We just sold a Magpul version, but I like the wooden furniture better.

Century Arms introduced the first 100% American made AK rifle to the market 5 years ago. We are excited to now offer the newest addition to the C39 line of rifles, the new C39v2, the American AK. It is 100% American made with no imported parts, built on a milled receiver machined from a solid 11 lb. block of 4140 ordnance quality steel. Enhancements include a T shaped magazine catch, compatibility with AKM furniture, a bolt hold open safety, an enhanced dust cover and standard AK sights. The C39v2 is coated with black nitrite and uses a new RAK-1 enhanced trigger group. The C39v2 barrel has a concentric left hand 14x1 metric thread and is ready for a variety of muzzle attachments. Comes with two 30 rd. Magpul mags. and a 1 year manufacturer's warranty. Barrel: 16.5" with a 1:10 twist, Overall: 37.25", Weight: 8.2 lbs

i.imgur.com_14WR0ka.png

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
better triggers, receivers are thicker, 1.5mm vs 1mm on most AKMs as well as having thicker barrels. The Chinese AKs were made at factories (using the word factory loosely) that had a history of producing military grade weapons...80% of the AKs in the US were assembled or in some way modified by CIA (century) contractors...who often times just honey badgered the guns together. The Chinese guns (including mak-90s) were made from NEW parts and numbers matching upon importation...unlike once again the century guns that are mismatched parts from big bins of scrapped worn out rifles. On top of that they were blued and beautiful...about every AK you buy today has poop bbq black coating. And the icing on the cake is they don't make them anymore...demand for AK variants has been huge the past handful of years and the supply (of Chinese guns) is stagnant.

Wow, good info! Thanks!
BTW, love the profile pic! Sakuraba beating Royce's ass I think?

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yep - former President Clinton put the kibosh on Chinese imports in 1994, so there have been no Chinese AKs or SKSs brought in since then. What's here is here, and that's all there's going to be. The rifles above are "pre-ban" (pre-1989), so they have ALL Chinese parts, retain their bayonet lugs, and are legal to be in "military configuration" without having to add a bunch of junk US-made parts. There is also likely much fewer of them in circulation. Pulling the fire control group on a Chinese AKM and subbing a US-made parts kills one of the nicest, smoothest triggers in all of the AK kingdom. Even the post-ban MAK-90s and NHM-90s retain that smooth Chi-Com trigger group. The MAKs are just modified to meet the then-new "assault weapons ban" by removing the bayo lugs, replacing the furniture with a thumbhole stock, and remarking them with "MAK90", "sporter", or some other such foolishness. Still very good rifles.

I love the Chinese AKs, and I still know many that poo-poo them for being "Chinese junk". But as time has passed, many have softened to that rhetoric, and have discovered that they are indeed some of the better AKMs (and SKSs) that ever hit our shores. And as for those that like to say, "I remember when those were $XXX all day long; I wouldn't pay that much for one" need to remember that once upon a time, a '66 Shelby Mustang was under $10,000, too. Go pick one of those up in good condition for that now.

Our laws are so dumb. Really frustrating all the ridiculous laws they've passed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom