AK Talk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me, when shopping for an AK 90% seem to be a CAI. They pump out AKs like McDonald's pumps out hamburgers. How do you guys rank the top 3 or 5 AK producers?
I havnt tried them all But without a doubt I would place a converted saiga right up there with the best. If you can find an arsenal or krebs saiga for a decent price then jump on it. Arsenal, saiga, norinco (all chinese). Are up there for me. I know norinco is no longer a manufacturer but their are a ton of maks floating around still.

century and IO are at the bottom no matter how much people like to say they are improving

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Arsenal/FIME imports, Chinese, Century imports, TGI imports, and older Hungarian (KBI/Kassnar) and Romanian (Intrac imports). There's a few more, (Egyptian-built Maadis) but that's a start. They key to me is that they are imported - not built in the USA. Rifles built in the actual arsenals that build rifles for their country's military, or contract to build rifles for the militaries of others is key to me. Same goes for magazines. Mil-surp = good.

mike sweeney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just do not like .223. Only black rifles I'd consider would be something like the Faxon ARAK or the Robinson XCR.

If your going to start getting into AK rifles dont limit yourself to their originial caliber as there are alot of awesome AK variants in 5.56. The purest in me hated 5.56 cal rifles but they grew on me. Plus 5.56 AK's are much more accurate than 7.62X39 rifles. That is what I always loved about AK's is so many variants from so many countries.

Polish Beryl Archer and IMI Israeli Galil

Arsenal SLR-106UR and Sig Sauer 551A1

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man - that Galil and those spikers! The fixed stock is a twin to the one I missed on at Wannenmacher's. Hopefully I'll "stumble" onto some nice ones like that (when I have cash). I pretty much developed a soft spot for the 5.45x39; great round, no recoil, and flat shooting.

So.....where's the Valmet?

mike sweeney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man - that Galil and those spikers! The fixed stock is a twin to the one I missed on at Wannenmacher's. Hopefully I'll "stumble" onto some nice ones like that (when I have cash). I pretty much developed a soft spot for the 5.45x39; great round, no recoil, and flat shooting.

So.....where's the Valmet?

LMAO! The Valmet is the one that always got away :) I have an OSA member I was gonna do a trade with but when we went to the range and he shot his M76 again he decided he didnt want to part with it. The person I bought the Galil off at one time had a M76 tube folder I wish I would have bought it when I had the chance! This may be a sour grapes excuse but what I dont like about the 5.56 cal Valmet's is the mags are hard to find and very expensive.

CJ the 5.45X39 round is badass. It bursts five gallon water bottles!!! 545 cal AK rifles are another hole in my AK collection.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never had any interest in the 5.45, but one day a few years ago, a Romak 2 popped up on armslist for $500, and I figured what the hell - I'll see what this round is about. Needless to say, it started another drain on funds. One I don't have is an SLR104FR; I'd like to have one, but other stuff keeps coming up, and I figure mags and ammo is of most importance right now, especially since they put the kibosh on 7n6. I am in the process of getting an RPK74M project wrapped up; that baby has costed a fortune, but as of now, none are or have been imported. I'm sure once I get it finished K-VAR or one of them will import one for less than I have in mine......

And for you .223 AK guys as well as AR guys (or if they have Galil siblings:wink2: ), check this out:

https://www.freedommunitions.com/5-56-SS109-62-gr-New-ZQI-Guardian-p/zqi556ss62n-c1200.htm

Free shipping today, and use code wmy5 and get an extra 5% off - that's just under 28¢ a round for brass case, reloadable SS109! Screaming deal.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your going to start getting into AK rifles dont limit yourself to their originial caliber as there are alot of awesome AK variants in 5.56. The purest in me hated 5.56 cal rifles but they grew on me. Plus 5.56 AK's are much more accurate than 7.62X39 rifles. That is what I always loved about AK's is so many variants from so many countries.

Polish Beryl Archer and IMI Israeli Galil

Arsenal SLR-106UR and Sig Sauer 551A1

god that Galil is so dope.

would you all agree that the galil is the greatest evolution of the AK? I havnt really looked into the variants much but it seems the valmet is highly praised and my understanding is the galil is an updated copy of that?

Latest posts

Top Bottom