AK Talk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Galil or the Valmet - not sure which is the most "evolved". But I've not had an AK that didn't function, so it may be moot. Still would like to add a one of each (especially a .308 Valmet) to the fold, but no cash for that.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The newer US made AK's are finally getting to an acceptable level of quality. The rifles century is putting out today made in-house will all American made parts is surprisingly really good. Much better than the stuff Century used to clobber together using parts kits. DDI also makes a great AK.

With that said, my standard go to is a Bulgarian Arsenal AK. I also liked the old Saiga/Russian based Arsenals, as well.

Not particularly a fan of Polytechs. I know they're the "holy grail" of AK's but that's exactly the problem. Every person I know with a Polytech babies them like they're made of glass and are too afraid to shoot them because they don't want to decrease the value. Bulgarian Arsenals represent the "Colt" of AK's that are well made, rugged, accurate and something you can actually use and abuse.

mike sweeney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
god that Galil is so dope.

would you all agree that the galil is the greatest evolution of the AK? I havnt really looked into the variants much but it seems the valmet is highly praised and my understanding is the galil is an updated copy of that?

Yes Yisrael Galil based the Galil rifle off the Finnish M62 Valmet. The M62 had a milled receiver and was 7.62X39 caliber and took standard AK mags. The later Valmets had a stamped receiver and were 5.56 or 7.62X51 nato caliber.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LMAO! The Valmet is the one that always got away :) I have an OSA member I was gonna do a trade with but when we went to the range and he shot his M76 again he decided he didnt want to part with it. The person I bought the Galil off at one time had a M76 tube folder I wish I would have bought it when I had the chance! This may be a sour grapes excuse but what I dont like about the 5.56 cal Valmet's is the mags are hard to find and very expensive.

CJ the 5.45X39 round is badass. It bursts five gallon water bottles!!! 545 cal AK rifles are another hole in my AK collection.

Haha, you mean this one? Glad I came to my senses. The reason I picked this one up so many years ago was that it came with 3 mags and picked up one since and modified one of the Bulgy 5.56 polymer mags to work like the Tromix mags.
Got plenty of trade material when you're ready to give up that Galil!
[Broken External Image]

mike sweeney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haha, you mean this one? Glad I came to my senses. The reason I picked this one up so many years ago was that it came with 3 mags and picked up one since and modified one of the Bulgy 5.56 polymer mags to work like the Tromix mags.
Got plenty of trade material when you're ready to give up that Galil!
[Broken External Image]

Yes Moose that is the one LOL. What a beautiful rifle! I remember that day at the range when you were shredding the X ring with it and told me you just couldnt part with it :) Ild be more than happy to work out a trade but the Galil is gonna be with me for a long time.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
God that Valmet is awesome. Like the double under-folder, too - but have never been a fan of underfolder stocks for shooting. They sure look cool, though.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
God that Valmet is awesome. Like the double under-folder, too - but have never been a fan of underfolder stocks for shooting. They sure look cool, though.

I added a simple cheek riser to my Hungarian underfolder out of a dowel rod and paracord in the DIY section. its actually pretty dang pleasant to shoot now. AMDtech has a bolt on riser that looks pretty awesome and I know they make quality stuff.

I will say that for non fixed stock AKMs I prefer the side to the under folder

i40.tinypic.com_106dpfo.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom