Alarm coming from Home Electrical Panel after Generac Install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not a electrical guru either but have ran into higher voltage wires bleeding voltage over to low voltage systems just by being ran in same conduit or close proximity. It will drive you crazy with weird crap happening. Separate them in their own conduit and problem usually goes away. Can't explain it but seen it happen on multiple occasions and learned to look for it.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes. Induction is a real problem in construction. High voltage cables are required by code to be installed a certain distance from all low voltage cables when they run parallel and there are even codes for crossing the cables at right angles. Depending upon the voltage and the type of conductor and whether or not it is in conduit or MC, determines the distance away from the LV cables. You absolutely cannot run LV cables inside the same conduit or raceway as high voltage lines. That can cause all kinds of problems. Our policy at our company was one foot from any alternating current lines under 240 VAC. This exceeded code but made sure we were compliant in any jurisdiction and any future code changes.

Your high voltage energized the circuit of the alarm board that creates the siren sound. It could be embedded into the speaker you found or at the alarm panel where the wires are going. I didn't see the speaker type. It could be inside the back. Hook up a 12 volt battery to the two wires with red and positive and black as negative. You will most certainly find out if it is a siren or a speaker.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not a electrical guru either but have ran into higher voltage wires bleeding voltage over to low voltage systems just by being ran in same conduit or close proximity. It will drive you crazy with weird crap happening. Separate them in their own conduit and problem usually goes away. Can't explain it but seen it happen on multiple occasions and learned to look for it.
That's why you don't run data wiring next to or in the same conduit as high voltage.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm still curious as why it was random. Dependent on panel load?
Whenever the wires that were close to the speaker/siren wire were energized with a load. An electrical device will only pull from the source whatever amperage/load it needs to operate. As long as the device is getting the required voltage, which can also be a small over voltage, ex. 12 volt can be run from 14 volt supply, the device will work as long as the supply has the minimum required amperage.

In this case, the voltage was inducted into the wire and the over amperage of the A/C conductors was just enough to make the circuit board barely work. I found a camera having problems a week after I installed it. I finally got the customer to tell me the electricians installed a high voltage sodium light and found the 277 voltage was right next to my existing cables. The electricians had to move their cabling because mine was there first.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Somewhere around your house the alarm is wired in to electric, it needs disconnected. Then remove battery from alarm box. Used to have that problem, Every time electric went out, alarm went off because electric kept power to backup battery.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whenever the wires that were close to the speaker/siren wire were energized with a load. An electrical device will only pull from the source whatever amperage/load it needs to operate. As long as the device is getting the required voltage, which can also be a small over voltage, ex. 12 volt can be run from 14 volt supply, the device will work as long as the supply has the minimum required amperage.

In this case, the voltage was inducted into the wire and the over amperage of the A/C conductors was just enough to make the circuit board barely work. I found a camera having problems a week after I installed it. I finally got the customer to tell me the electricians installed a high voltage sodium light and found the 277 voltage was right next to my existing cables. The electricians had to move their cabling because mine was there first.

THe only thing I can think of that may have caused the intermittent or random sounding of the alarm is that just out of the pic to the left is a large exterior garage wall sconce/light. One on each side of the garage door. It is usually on 24/7 but we will occasionally flip the switch off for whatever reason. It's possible with Snattler's knowledge that the wires for the alarm speaker run right next to the wires powering the wall sconces and when those lights are on the alarm was sounding, etc. Just a theory as i can't think of anything else that we would power on and off randomly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom