Alcohol cravings and getting it under control.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Benzos are usually prescribed for withdrawal sx. Gotta see a doc for that. Good luck.
True alcoholics can't be helped. Though sometimes they can help themselves. Not everyone who drinks a lot is an alcoholic. Though alcoholic is probably the way to bet. If he's sensible enough to realize he needs to stop drinking, he may not be a true alcoholic, and he may be able to reduce his drinking eventually to nothing. Only way to find out is to try. And cold-turkey will leave him sick and miserable for quite a while. He's already mentioned that. Most folks aren't able to do it long enough for it to work. I watched my parents trying to quit smoking and drinking. Dad never quite managed it, but did back off quite a ways on the alcohol. Mom quit drinking & smoking, but not until after she quit hanging around my dad. Which happened when I was 4, and it was decades before she quit the smoking and drinking.

I managed not to start drinking alcohol, and to quit smoking while I was still quite young. Caffeine and sugar are my drugs of choice these days, and I'm way past not young anymore, though maybe not yet old. The guy I mentioned didn't want to stop drinking, or even back down a bit. I've no idea how long he lasted after he got thrown out of the USAF, but I suspect it wasn't very long. If you get drunk on your first drink, like my friend, probably nothing is going to help. If you can back it down you can reduce the dependence. Otherwise I'd weight over 600lbs. I've managed not to hit 300 yet, but I'm a lot closer than I'd like to be.

Bill
True alcoholics can be helped dude. Can they fully recover? I really don’t believe so. Can a severe diabetic be helped? Yes, but if he goes back eating cake it will eventually kill him. He will unfortunately never rid himself of the disease.
Our literature says we are like men who lost their legs, we will never grow new ones, but We can overcome our handicaps and live a productive life.
I’ve been on and off this hamster wheel several times. I may have one more going out in me, but I seriously doubt I’ll make it back alive.

Koolhandlinc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello, my name is holechit and I have an alcohol problem. Could use some advice and support. I used to have a bit of a dependence issue with alcohol, but I’ve beat a lot of it. I have come to realize that I do still drink too much. The old lady and I have decided to completely eliminate alcohol from our lives for at least a month, but have discussed extending things out an extra month or two. My end goal is not to completely give up alcohol, but to lose some weight and get back to where I can sit down and have a drink or two and catch a buzz.

I am only 3 days into not drinking and man, I am dealing with some cravings. With this I am also cutting down on my sugar and carb intake, and man am I craving any kind of sugar or alcohol I can get my hands on. Any tips on battling this? Any tips on this process as a whole? I would like to come out of this next 1-3 months healthier, with the ability to enjoy one of my favorite vices, without things getting out of hand again.
What you have described is classic for an alcoholic. A true alcoholic can’t touch it because they have an allergic reaction that when confronted with a first drink makes them unable to stop as a reasonable person would.

RodneyWade

New to the site!
Reaction score
Hi! Thanks for sharing your story, and I’m glad you’ve found a place that can help you get rid of the addiction!
The thread’s old, but the problem being discussed is basically eternal. Fighting an addiction has always been a big problem for men. And in these cases, a community or a group can be really helpful. Something like online sobriety groups or anonymous alcoholics society can change your way of thinking. If you want that, of course. So, I think that the major thing here is a person’s willpower and support from the people around them.

BUDMAN-BILL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like this thread, I find myself reading some of the posts and get support from that. A lot of good people here. It will be 3 years this jun 25th since I’ve had my last drink and to be honest, I’ve only been to 2 AA meetings. I’ve found that the support comes from my family and friends. I also know that the addiction will always be there for me.

Please, lets keep this going.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like this thread, I find myself reading some of the posts and get support from that. A lot of good people here. It will be 3 years this jun 25th since I’ve had my last drink and to be honest, I’ve only been to 2 AA meetings. I’ve found that the support comes from my family and friends. I also know that the addiction will always be there for me.

Please, lets keep this going.

That's the key.

I absolutely hate drunks. Can't stand to be around them, have zero pity for them when they get hurt, killed or lose stuff.

Does me good to see them once in a while though. Reminds me of who I am, and who I don't want to be.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m still on the no/little drinking train and going strong. In the past few months since I started this post I’ve had maybe 2 dozen drinks. I feel pretty good. Shortly after I posted this I was told by my doctor that my liver enzyme levels were too high and that I needed to quit for a while to get it under control. I have another doctors appointment next week to review lab results from this week to see how my liver is healing. I’m likely going to stay on this path, I like it.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m still on the no/little drinking train and going strong. In the past few months since I started this post I’ve had maybe 2 dozen drinks. I feel pretty good. Shortly after I posted this I was told by my doctor that my liver enzyme levels were too high and that I needed to quit for a while to get it under control. I have another doctors appointment next week to review lab results from this week to see how my liver is healing. I’m likely going to stay on this path, I like it.
Keep us updated please.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I too am an addict, and I'm not using the word "alcoholic" here, because I was addicted to so much more than just booze. Cigarettes, Black & Mild cigars, gambling, women, food, guns, you name it. The only way that I can conquer an addiction is cold turkey and remove it from my life forever.

Back in 2005, I was in a dark place in my life. I had left Mrs. GED for another woman, started smoking and drinking again after quitting 15 years earlier (this new gal loved to party) and doing other immoral things that I don't care to discuss. But yeah, I quit it all one day, cold turkey, made my way back into my wife and kid's lives and cleaned up my act all at the same time.

You think I wasn't a cranky bastard for about 2-3 weeks? :scream:

But yeah, that's about what it took...2-3 weeks. Mrs. GED was my Jiminy Cricket. She put a tap on my phone, made me check in about every hour on the hour, smelled my clothes and checked them for strange scents, hairs and/or fibers. Even went as far as checking the mileage on my car! But...she had to, so I would stay on the straight and narrow.

You and your wife can do this. Lean on each other. Stay away from places that tempt you to drink as well as people that you used to drink with. And drink coffee. Lots and lots of coffee. Your body is gonna crave sugar. Good luck to you guys. I got faith in ya. Hell, if I can do it, you can do it. :thumb:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
30 days to a clean system.

Cold turkey is the only way to get it out of your system.

When the cravings hit, DO SOMETHING (reload, clean, do laundry, take a shower, have sex, dance)
Remember why you are doing this and tell yourself the feeling well pass, it will get better and it will not beat you.

You and your mindset determine success.

Latest posts

Top Bottom