Alcohol cravings and getting it under control.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello, my name is holechit and I have an alcohol problem. Could use some advice and support. I used to have a bit of a dependence issue with alcohol, but I’ve beat a lot of it. I have come to realize that I do still drink too much. The old lady and I have decided to completely eliminate alcohol from our lives for at least a month, but have discussed extending things out an extra month or two. My end goal is not to completely give up alcohol, but to lose some weight and get back to where I can sit down and have a drink or two and catch a buzz.

I am only 3 days into not drinking and man, I am dealing with some cravings. With this I am also cutting down on my sugar and carb intake, and man am I craving any kind of sugar or alcohol I can get my hands on. Any tips on battling this? Any tips on this process as a whole? I would like to come out of this next 1-3 months healthier, with the ability to enjoy one of my favorite vices, without things getting out of hand again.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never had an addiction to anything that I know of, but maybe caffeine? I cant help in that aspect, but I do know quitting anything cold turkey is really hard on the body. I'd definitely get a professional opinion on it along with any real world experiences.

Best of luck man. Acknowledging you have an issue/problem is the first step.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Hang in there man! You’ll probably lose some weight. I have a friend that he and his wife drink everyday. She got sepsis from an infection and they both quit for a month. Mainly because she just didn’t feel like it. They both lost 20 pounds.
I could probably benefit from a 30 day hiatus myself! If this Covid thing is good for anything at all, that may be it.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have an alcohol problem, 1 drink is too much and 6 is not enough. My Great Uncle was an Alcoholic, he lives with us and we use to talk into the weee hours of the morning. He once told me he hadn't had a drink in 27 years, and he said it was the first thing he thought about when he woke up, and the last thing he thought about when he went to bed. From what I understand if you have a dependency, you are going to have to stop all together, or continue doing what your doing. There is no just getting a buzz. I will put you in my prayers.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A relative of mine been buying alcohol free beer when he gets the cravings, he’s been doing this since before the holidays and says he’s fine, at least he can drink with everyone else.

I quit smoking by taking a long walks when I normally would be outside smoking , I attended a bunch of meetings so I’d mute my phone. And really with work from home you’d hear dogs, kids, and traffic so everyone was on mute unless talking.

I’d join a gym and wear yourself out , it sucks getting started by man it calms me down and relaxes me. Must be the endorphins, your bodies natural drug.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hello, my name is holechit and I have an alcohol problem. Could use some advice and support. I used to have a bit of a dependence issue with alcohol, but I’ve beat a lot of it. I have come to realize that I do still drink too much. The old lady and I have decided to completely eliminate alcohol from our lives for at least a month, but have discussed extending things out an extra month or two. My end goal is not to completely give up alcohol, but to lose some weight and get back to where I can sit down and have a drink or two and catch a buzz.

I am only 3 days into not drinking and man, I am dealing with some cravings. With this I am also cutting down on my sugar and carb intake, and man am I craving any kind of sugar or alcohol I can get my hands on. Any tips on battling this? Any tips on this process as a whole? I would like to come out of this next 1-3 months healthier, with the ability to enjoy one of my favorite vices, without things getting out of hand again.
Sounds like your may need to just give it up completely. I personally would seek a profesionnal and determine if you are an alcoholic or not. If you are, 1 is too many. :(

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd take a real hard look at how much dependence you have on alcohol. Take an honest assessment (there are some questions to ask, google it) - most of the folks who are addicted to alcohol (like me) - can't drink one or two drinks, ever. What's the point, lol?

Quitting for me was one day at a time, and I can honestly say I wish I never took up drinking. Looking back, it never improved my life one iota.

And that sugar craving? Alcohol converts right into sugar. I used to replace it with ice cream, but I was young and worked it all off.

As for still craving it? Not a bit. I miss some of the old habits I've quit, but after 31 years sober, I can tell you booze is the last thing I'd pick back up.

Chewing tobacco on the other hand......

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I have been off the sauce since January 1, still have a huge stash of alcohol at the house but I drink club soda instead of beer. I quit for the same reasons to lose some wait and to feel better. If you can eliminate stress which is much harder to to than people think, it helps. I am now learning the subtle art of not giving a $h1t and it does help. I mean there are just some things my employer thinks are possible that are not going to be possible and now I don‘t much care if I meet the goals anymore. Stressing about those goals was costing me my health. So i just nod and act like it’s all reasonable and do what I can do the best I can. I haven’t completely quit and when I get into my 60’s I will certainly need a blood thinner and It will be moderate drink.

Latest posts

Top Bottom