ALG AKT in VEPR 7.62x54R

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User67828

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone else has done this yet, but it really isn't very difficult, and it is well worth it seeing as the stock VEPR triggers are worse than Mil-Spec.
i207.photobucket.com_albums_bb159_metalmatt1017_11243463_10208242238163285_3146743129830994956_n.jpg

All it takes is a grinding wheel, and about 20 minutes of your time. You can see the material that needs to be removed in this comparison.
i207.photobucket.com_albums_bb159_metalmatt1017_WP_20150817_18_47_42_Pro.jpg

Here is an after pic for comparison.
i207.photobucket.com_albums_bb159_metalmatt1017_WP_20150818_20_29_46_Pro.jpg

The trigger is absolutely amazing. Going to hit the gun club tomorrow and get some 100yd and 500yd results and see if the vastly improved feel equates to better groups.
i207.photobucket.com_albums_bb159_metalmatt1017_11866389_10208242238403291_6387354108688729105_n.jpg

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I desperately want a 54r and a x39 vepr. I am absolutely writhing in jealousy.

So in other words, beautiful weapon, I wanna hear about how it shoots! Before and after!

User67828

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I desperately want a 54r and a x39 vepr. I am absolutely writhing in jealousy.

So in other words, beautiful weapon, I wanna hear about how it shoots! Before and after!

I'll definitely get some solid info on the after. The stock trigger wasn't horrible, but it had a very long pull and was gritty feeling. The long pull would occasionally cause me to pull shots left. Drove me nuts.

What kind of cheek rest is that?
It's a Bradley.

Last edited:

supralicious

New to the site!
Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing the same setup as well. Could you possibly make a drawing of what you actually reshaped? I can see the front sear engagement edge of the hammer is sloped differently but did you have to change anything else? Beautiful rifle by the way!

User67828

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well it was not a very productive day at the range. I tested at random targets with about 40 rounds of random WPA, PPU and Brown Bear with zero issues. I then set my targets up, loaded the Hornady Vintage Match and was greeted with 3 straight rounds of click/no boom. After close inspection I found that my firing pin was putting a very light strike on the Hornady primer. I tested again with a couple of rounds of S&B and a single round of surplus with no issues. It seems the Hornady primers sit about twice as deep in the casing as the other brands.

Now my plan is to take just a very small amount off of the hammer where it strikes the pin, just to make the hammer sit 100% flush on the pin/bolt. I have shot from the same box of ammo prior to the install with no issues; Even though it is a very very small amount needed to flush it up with the bolt, I am sure that will fix it. Hopefully I'll be able to get back out to the range tomorrow or Friday.

One thing I can say is that I will have to get used to this trigger. I let at least a couple of shots off prematurely.

User67828

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing the same setup as well. Could you possibly make a drawing of what you actually reshaped? I can see the front sear engagement edge of the hammer is sloped differently but did you have to change anything else? Beautiful rifle by the way!

Thanks man, and when I get everything working with a 100% success rate I sure will. There is a protrusion on the front/bottom of the ALG that needs to be removed, as well as removing a good amount in the front/center to clear the VEPR cross brace. Like you said the strike face needs to be re-angled also, which is the only place I'm still working on. Might take a few tries, as I REALLY would rather remove too little than too much.

User67828

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went out today to test with Hornady ammo and tried to get some good groups, but the turbulent 11m/s+ winds made sure that my groups looked like I was shooting blindfolded. Got a decent cell phone vid of the length of pull and reset though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom