All around rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not having much luck trading for a Mini 14 as everyone "Just traded mine"

I am wanting a rifle that can be used for defense or hunting if needed. Does not kick to hard because of my rib and sternum issues, and is not a tacticool plastic wonder. Not a fan of 223 / 5.56 but admit it may be the best choice for my needs as I do not think 30 cal carbine is a good choice for hunting.

Any ideas or recommendations? Remember if I can not trade for it, I can not afford it.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
30 carbine isn't bad as long as you use soft points. 223 with a wylde chamber will give you more options. consider a lever gun in 357? or a pistol caliber carbine in 40? your gonna laff but the high point carbine in 40 is worth a look also.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is your Marlin Camp 9 rated for +P ammo? If so, that could be an 'in-house' solution.

Good luck!

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use Double Tap 77gr 9mm in my Ruger PCC. I believe it's rated at about 1800fps in a 16" barrel.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Light kick with big stopping power, I'm not sure they make that. What are you hunting that a 30.30 won't put a stop to? Henry makes a very beautiful .38/357 with almost zero kick. Will drop most things in Oklahoma, even bears, and including the two legged masked things that go bump in the night..

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
C'mon man! Getcha an AR-15 already and be done with it. :D
Hated the M16 when in the service, still do not like them. Besides, I hate plastic firearms.
I could trade for a Mini 30, but it has a plastic stock and I am wondering it the recoil might be to much.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rick, I never wanted an AR. They were toys. Cheap gimmicks. Who the fawk actually uses them for anything? But I saw some trading fodder. So I bought a couple of lowers and some complete uppers. Built the lowers and took them out to test fire. Holy **** they were kinda fun. Yeah, awkward at first, but I got used to that. And man, those things can be built as cheap or expensive as you want them. I now own 6, pistols and rifles in various calibers. There is no plastic left on any of them. And I've even converted one to .22LR just for cheaper practice. I've gotta say, give em a chance.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hated the M16 when in the service, still do not like them. Besides, I hate plastic firearms.
I could trade for a Mini 30, but it has a plastic stock and I am wondering it the recoil might be to much.
ar-15 wood.png

Amazingly enough google took me to this forum, when I was looking for this picture. Thanks @swampratt for your post about a year ago.

Edit: Oh and you might look at the new 5.56 AKs that PSA is getting ready to put out, with wood furniture.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was also never an AR fan, still not a fan boy. However, they definitely have their place. If you don’t think 223 is enough gun, you could look at a 350 Legend, it would give you more energy but not much more recoil. Recoil suppressing buffers and butt stocks are available. Another nice thing about ARs is that you can buy them a piece at a time to spread out the pain. If you do decide to build one, I strongly recommend spending the extra money to get a drop in single stage trigger.

Latest posts

Top Bottom