All around rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
That 1:7 barrel should like the heavier bullets but you never know until you try several out.

The 62 grain M855 are steel cored so no go on most ranges, even outdoors, because they will damage steel targets.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will only fire it at OKCGC on paper targets. I have no desire to shoot it indoors or to damage club property that just makes my dues increase.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 263282View attachment 263282
Rick, the answer to your requirements is this; Ruger 44 Carbine.

Semi auto, wood stock, big enough for deer or pig.

If you ask me really nice, and bring lots of Benjamins, I may sell you mine.

No....no I won't.
Don’t see those often. I’ve only seen one out in the wild. And I didn’t even recognize it for what it was at first. I just assumed it was a Ruger 10/22 and then the guy had to correct me and I was wowed. At the time I didn’t even know they existed

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ruger mags are by far the most reliable. A bit pricey but worth it.
30 something to 40 bucks a pop for a real Ruger magazine.
I found a couple places online that had the Ruger 10 rd mags closer to $39. The new Pro Mag 20rd are $15 at Academy. I will look for one 5 rd in case I ever try to hunt with it.

So 1 in 7 twist, what bullet weight is best?
Look at gun mag warehouse. They are out of Texas now and usually when you order something early enough in the day it’ll take one to two days to get your door. I’ve ordered from them in the past and have nothing but good reviews to say about them. And like Dlbleak said Ruger factory mags are pretty much the only way to go. Aftermarket are finicky and really not reliable. I’m not sure if I mentioned in another post but because the mini14 magazines rock in like an AK-47. Plastic magazines are going to fail you unless metal reinforced not to mention the feed lips will not last. I recommend Ruger mags or nothing. Plastic is a waste of money in this type of platform just like a non metal reinforced AK magazine.
https://gunmagwarehouse.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=mini14

Last edited:

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Honestly I think the best and cheapest option is to get a banner for your front porch that says “if you want to break in you should go to my profile on okshooters.com first” then that will give the perpetrator(s) time to look and decide that maybe we don’t want to break into @RickN ’s house cause of what they might see.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When the wife starts that I say "McDonalds it is" and she usually names some place. :P

I found a couple places online that had the Ruger 10 rd mags closer to $39. The new Pro Mag 20rd are $15 at Academy. I will look for one 5 rd in case I ever try to hunt with it.

So 1 in 7 twist, what bullet weight is best?
Not a magazine capacity limit for hunting deer in Oklahoma.

Latest posts

Top Bottom