All around rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why do you want a rifle for home defense? While your sneaking around the corner of a dark home, the perp just has to grab the barrel and they take charge of the weapon.
Personally I don't plan to do anything if someone comes into the house but take a defensive position, call 911 and wait for those that get paid to clear a home to arrive which might take awhile since we live in the sticks.
Should the alternative arise, I'm taking a pistol.

Rifles (typically an AR or something similar) are excellent home defense guns and I highly recommend them for that. ESPECIALLY if, like you said, you're going to take a static position.

What you're describing is a training and/or mindset issue...not an equipment issue. Cops and military clear buildings all the time with rifles.

And, BTW... There's a really easy and effective way to get someone to let go of the barrel of your rifle...

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why does the mini have such a bad rep with some people? I wish Ruger would make it take AR mags and fix any issues it has. Seems like they could no problem.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, first off most of them were "wash tub accurate" and nothing seemed to help. There was a place in Colorado that would rebarrel them and they did around 1-11/2 most, but it was expensive. My brother had his done and it was OK, except when it broke it's extractor Ruger didn't want to fix it because it was modified. We stripped another Mini of the extractor and sent that one in and they begrudgingly put a new extractor in, so when we got it back we had an extractor for my brothers. My dad's had two extractors break and each time Ruger wanted the rifle sent back. It usually took 4-6 weeks. Mine broke an extractor and a firing pin and a hammer. It was gone for over a year.
Now I worked at the 22nd A.M.U. for the Marine Corps doing rifle team support for the last two years of my tour. My job was bedding and accurizing M-14s, so I knew what worked to make an M-14 accurate. None of the stuff I knew to do helped the Mini. I absolutely love the M-14. I still cook out a M-14 barrel every other year or so I shoot them so much, but I never could get a mini to work, and I second the fact that after market mags suck. If you can find them Ruger used to make 30 round mags, but to me it is an unsupportable system! They SUCK!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rifles (typically an AR or something similar) are excellent home defense guns and I highly recommend them for that. ESPECIALLY if, like you said, you're going to take a static position.

What you're describing is a training and/or mindset issue...not an equipment issue. Cops and military clear buildings all the time with rifles.

And, BTW... There's a really easy and effective way to get someone to let go of the barrel of your rifle...
Yeah, kick em in the nuts. Works every time.
I'm not saying the AR/shotgun is not an effective weapon in home defense, just not what I would choose if moving room to room. When cops clear a facility, there is a method to the madness that a single homeowner doesn't have. Cops with multiple actors have people watching your six, nine and two. It's an orchestrated entry that works.
The single homeowner doesn't have that training or backup and will likely be leading their charge into dark territory where someone one can take advantage of that barrel while using their weapon to shoot the owner.
As we both know everything is subjective and fluid in those situations. Keyboard scenerios are just that.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, first off most of them were "wash tub accurate" and nothing seemed to help. There was a place in Colorado that would rebarrel them and they did around 1-11/2 most, but it was expensive. My brother had his done and it was OK, except when it broke it's extractor Ruger didn't want to fix it because it was modified. We stripped another Mini of the extractor and sent that one in and they begrudgingly put a new extractor in, so when we got it back we had an extractor for my brothers. My dad's had two extractors break and each time Ruger wanted the rifle sent back. It usually took 4-6 weeks. Mine broke an extractor and a firing pin and a hammer. It was gone for over a year.
Now I worked at the 22nd A.M.U. for the Marine Corps doing rifle team support for the last two years of my tour. My job was bedding and accurizing M-14s, so I knew what worked to make an M-14 accurate. None of the stuff I knew to do helped the Mini. I absolutely love the M-14. I still cook out a M-14 barrel every other year or so I shoot them so much, but I never could get a mini to work, and I second the fact that after market mags suck. If you can find them Ruger used to make 30 round mags, but to me it is an unsupportable system! They SUCK!
Accuracy Systems. com is the guy in Colorado. Sketchy with my experience.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree about the stock on the AR, one of the things that felt off to me. I had a hard time getting comfortable firging one and never did feel like I had a proper cheek weld. I don't know, maybe if there was an AR stock that felt right I could live with it, but I doubt it.
There are precision stocks that are adjustable for the AR platform.
That eliminates one more of your objections. :laugh6:

Latest posts

Top Bottom