All around rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I was unaware that Mini-14s came in a heavy barrel version. All the ones I have seen have had the same profile no matter if it was a Ranch, G.B. or plain old Mini. Did they also make a National Match version like the AK-47 I saw advertised a bit ago? The only ones I am aware of with a heavy barrel are the ones rebarreled by Accuracy Systems in Colorado...(thanks Denis, I couldn't remember their name)

Disclaimer.... Yes I am very aware that no AK was ever produced as a National Match rifle, but hey when your asking $2300.00 for an AK it darn well ought to have a National Match barrel and flash hider and be fully accurrize!🤣

has the “OHP” (Oklahoma Highway Patrol) stamped ones been brought up ever? My dad has one. Didn’t know if they were anything special or not.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rick, do you reload? I've run my Mini with plain ol' 55gr FMJ - but the carefully reloaded ones outshoot all the factory stuff I've tried. Since I'm "dumping" powder, not weighing every one like I would my hunting loads, my guess is the factory standards are pretty low. CFE and CCI primers with Hornady FMJ, or even Midway blems shoot better than AE, Win, etc...

I'm not sure you'll get the same results with that pencil barrel but good ammo can't hurt.
I got out of reloading a year or so ago. Docs orders.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
O.H.P Mini-14 is a standard GB model rifle with the distinction of O.H.P. engraved on the receiver. They made around 1300 of them and they had a slot in the rear of the butt stock sort of like an M1 carbine, and had a red rubber butt plate instead of plastic. I'm told they might also have had some with the factory folding stock, but I don't know that for sure.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well what do ya know, around 2008 Ruger did increase their barrel diameter (580 series or so) from .560" or so to .625" more or less, so an increase of .065" in diameter. It's a small change and I didn't notice it, but Ted was right about the "pencil barrel".

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
O.H.P Mini-14 is a standard GB model rifle with the distinction of O.H.P. engraved on the receiver. They made around 1300 of them and they had a slot in the rear of the butt stock sort of like an M1 carbine, and had a red rubber butt plate instead of plastic. I'm told they might also have had some with the factory folding stock, but I don't know that for sure.
Wouldn't mind having one.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not having much luck trading for a Mini 14 as everyone "Just traded mine"

I am wanting a rifle that can be used for defense or hunting if needed. Does not kick to hard because of my rib and sternum issues, and is not a tacticool plastic wonder. Not a fan of 223 / 5.56 but admit it may be the best choice for my needs as I do not think 30 cal carbine is a good choice for hunting.

Any ideas or recommendations? Remember if I can not trade for it, I can not afford it.

Did you get that Mini, Rick? How do you like it?

Latest posts

Top Bottom