All Steelfingers range results will only be here

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When the next steel challenge in Ada gets closer please remind us. I want to start steel challenge as soon as I can. There is one at the SCRAP club but I havent made it there yet. And any info you know about it would be great.

I dunno if the same guys still run the Steel Challenge there that did when I was shooting matches, but if they are you will NOT be disappointed. Those things are a BLAST!!

I'd be up to meeting you guys out there some month. The doc released me to shoot anything I want now and I had a GREAT time at the ENS at @gerhard1's place. I didn't shoot a lot because my neck got sore and I didn't want to push it too hard but it sure felt good to ping some steel! Thanks again to @adamsredlines for bringing out his plate.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure its been said before--consistency is the key. How the stock is held, how much pressure on the cheek, how tight to the shoulder, how the rifle sits on the bags, trigger squeeze, breath control, sight picture--all these things must be done the same way to get consistent results. Practice, practice, practice!
Thanks. It's a learning curve that I'm just starting to understand. With a ton more to figure out, I try to use the info I get here. Today I knew the shots that were good. I also paid attention to everything that I was doing that influenced the rifles aim. This is what I noted and worked on:
1. I was putting my cheek at different positions each time I pulled the bolt. Even more when I changed mags.
2. The amount of pressure I was putting down on the cheek rest was too much or inconsistent.
3. I tended to get on target with the crosshairs and push the stock with my trigger hand. This with a grip on the stock that was inconsistent.
4. Not getting the stock seated in the same spot on my shoulder and my shoulder position was different each time.
5. Shoulder pressure on stock all over the place. Ha!.
6. Trigger control very good.
7. Breathing good but still getting that heartbeat cross hair hop thing going.
8. Have yet to figure out how to shoot between heartbeats or to figure out what part of my body is transferring the heart beat to the stock and then the sight. If I could figure that out, maybe I could figure out how to stop it.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
New range report 8/5/17. Shooting my girl, the RAP 6.5 creedmoor. It was a great day.
Started off with 100 yards using a few tips I got from here. Had to kill a few hours yesterday so I stopped by a few pawn shops and gun stores on my way to Kingston to meet my wife for dinner at the Fish Place. Like to give some business to locals so every where they had 6.5 I bought a box.
Decided to use a few today..Ha.
First picture is after I warmed up a bit with 140 grain. This was my best group at 100 yards with the others very tight as well.
Moved my target out to 200 yards and changed to 129 grain (that's what I had).
Pic one is my first 3 rounds and was low left. Did not dope the scope and just did hold over (which I grew up with and fairly good at). Pic two is over hold but I got it ranged now. Pic three and four show the results.
I'm very pleased with this. Going to start keeping a log to set the adjustments for 200 then 300 and so on.
It was a great day.
Ada 100 yds pic 1.JPG
Ada 200 yds pic 2.JPG
Ada 200 yds pic 3.JPG
Ada 200 yds pic 4.JPG
Ada 200 yds pic 5.JPG

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty sure some is making bottom metal for the Ruger American, just cant remember where I saw it. Magpul is putting out the Hunter stock for the RA here soon

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I despise the ruger rotary mag. It's a piece of junk. No one has made a mod so I'm making my own. Hope it works.
I'm 99.9999999% positive I saw that someone is making them for the RA. At the time (2 weeks ago) I was looking for a Tikka mod and came across one. I think I saw a poly one on ebay as well

Latest posts

Top Bottom