All the apartment fires in OKC lately.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So figured I would post in the stupid stuff since it's kinda a stupid thought.

But with all the apartment fires in OKC here lately at the apartment complex's whats the odds that this is arson? I mean three fires in a week seems like that kind of thing. I know it's been colder the last couple days but it seems like a big coincidence not to mention that this have all turned into big fires.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Possible. I used to volunteer with the ARC Disaster Action Team and we had a lot more fires when weather was cold and heaters were used. MANY apartment complexes around OKC are poorly maintained and fires waiting to happen. The fires lately were in units that I’ve been to before. For example, Lyrewood apartments are sometimes referred to as Firewood Apts by OKC Fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Possible. I used to volunteer with the ARC Disaster Action Team and we had a lot more fires when weather was cold and heaters were used. MANY apartment complexes around OKC are poorly maintained and fires waiting to happen. The fires lately were in units that I’ve been to before. For example, Lyrewood apartments are sometimes referred to as Firewood Apts by OKC Fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We also called that Firewood Lane. Part of the problem is building construction and maintenance. One of our Fire Marshals was called there one night after an electrical fire. When he arrived he was taken to one of the breaker boxes where the fire had started. The fuses had been replaced with sections of copper pipe. That discovery prompted an inspection of every breaker box on the property. Several hundred “fuses” were removed. The apartment manager was cited with several thousands of dollars in fines and the city electrical inspector also paid them a visit.

Some of the cold weather fires are caused when lower income families can’t pay all the bills and the electricity is turned off. They then use candles for light and accidents happen. Space heaters that don’t have fall protection or placed too close to combustibles is another problem.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The fuses had been replaced with sections of copper pipe.
Folks would stick a penny in the old screw in types and screw the blown fuse back in to hold it in place. Sheesh people, that's yer home.

As a mechanic, I can't tell ya how many of the old automotive glass types I've seen wrapped with foil (usually a gum wrapper). And someone posted pics here a while back where someone had used a LIVE .22 rimfire cartridge to replace one.

The lack of respect for proper fuse/breaker protection (in both home and auto) boggles the mind... :/

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
There's been a constant stream of apartment fires since I move from the 918 area code to NW OK where the only news I get is OKC. That was in 1994 and those things catch on fire about every other month it seems like.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that last night. Had a feeling that with so many so close together it had to be something like that happening. Kid ruined his life to watch a fire though. At 16 he will be tried as an adult and do real time for something like this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom