All you public land hunters, let's hear your setup...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This will be my first year of public land of "run and gun", err bow? A year ago, I had a cheap stand stolen off public property and swore I'd never let that happen again. I pack in and out what I am hunting out of. I just added a Lone Wolf Hang on to my arsenal.

Setup #1

Summit Open Shot climber (hard to find trees to use without prepping)
and a fanny pack or camelback pack

Setup #2

Lone Wolf Assault II
Hawk Helium Climbing sticks (have 3, ordered another to get a little higher)
Camelback and clothes strapped to stand

I was amazed at how quick I got the hang on set up the first time a few nights ago. Its incredibly light and quiet. I have all the required parts to do the Versa Button mod on them with rope, but can't convince myself to drill on my new sticks yet. The rope would make them so much quieter to pack and set up though.

Also debating (more than likely next year or late season) setting up a cheap stand, but packing the sticks in and out so there is no access to it.

I'd love to hear your setups and any mods or anything you've done to make it easier. Pictures are even better.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since 1980 I have just used rope or seat belt strap.
Find a nice tree and climb it and make a nest hammock or sit on a branch and tie in.
Or I ground hunt. Killed plenty both ways.

Sometimes I must use fallen trees or big fallen branches to make my nest or sitting spot.
I also hunt public land.
I want to pack it in and pack it out in my pockets.
I do not carry a back pack either.
I have shot quite a few deer while I am just leaning against a tree.
Do not be like many hunters and leave the woods to go to the car at 10am.
I see more deer from 10am to 3 pm than you think.
I also quit walking into the woods when it is too dark to shoot.
I will usually be the last one to walk in. In my younger years i used to do what the old man and his buddies did , walk in 1.5 hours before sun up.
I kicked up deer every time.. could not see a thing.
When i quit doing that I started killing deer. Dad and his buddies may have got 3 deer in the 6 years i hunted with them.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well said, Swampratt.

I do plan on doing some ground sits, as well. Got a nice stool for that. I definitely don't leave before 1, if the weather is good and I don't have any other plans I got to make it to!

For anyone who is wondering, here are a few pics of my Lone Wolf Assault setup. Second time using it today and its so quick and quiet! Would be pretty light too, except for all the crap I take with me for long sits.

Attachments

• IMG_3483.JPG
    IMG_3483.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_3484.JPG
    IMG_3484.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 183

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a similar set up. Lone wolf alpha and 3 lw sticks. I added a circular piece of climbing rope to the bottom stick. This allows me to get a little higher with 3 sticks. Use the rope at the bottom for the first step. It' attached to the bottom cleat and just long enough to wrap on the button when stowed.
Far cheaper than adding a 4th stick.
Also. There is a packable ladder stan I found years ago. It' light and fast and I can get in and out. I use it on sloped terrain so I can be higher without a tall stand.
3rd option and my most often used, is the cheap tripod seat from academy. Fund a comply tree or cedar and sit at the base. I use the xbow when I use this method.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And if you whistle at me as I walk by, I will come sit by you. It'll be all good though. I'll bring snacks.

Tell me this is regarding my post in the Good Luck thread! LOL I love snacks.

3rd option and my most often used, is the cheap tripod seat from academy. Fund a comply tree or cedar and sit at the base. I use the xbow when I use this method.

I used one of those a few times, but my poor back couldn't handle it. I kept moving so much it was counter productive.

I just bought one of these from Dick's for $20 and it is soo much better for a long sit!

15MACUCMPDDDTRPDSODR_Next_G_1_is

Latest posts

Top Bottom