All you public land hunters, let's hear your setup...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coach_1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What really sucks about public land are the people who don’t scout. They drive around and see where everyone hunts and then they try to beat you out there or set up close to you. I know it’s public land but common courtesy goes a long way in my book.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed. I wish it would work where it was a leave a note on your windshield saying "I am hunting at XX area and will only be hunting until 3" if you knew someone else hunted fairly close to you, but this would just help out the lazy people.

One of my conundrums of public land is finding out if a stand is abandoned. I will stumble across an abandoned, or what appears to be abandoned, stand before season/early season. It always happens when I'm thinking "This looks like a good funnel" etc.... I'm courteous enough to not hunt close to it, but I wonder how many of those stands are actually abandoned and keeping me off a decent hunting spot.

Part of me scratches my head because I've had a stand stolen in the same area and I wonder what made mine so appealing? This is the reason I run and gun now.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed. I wish it would work where it was a leave a note on your windshield saying "I am hunting at XX area and will only be hunting until 3" if you knew someone else hunted fairly close to you, but this would just help out the lazy people.

One of my conundrums of public land is finding out if a stand is abandoned. I will stumble across an abandoned, or what appears to be abandoned, stand before season/early season. It always happens when I'm thinking "This looks like a good funnel" etc.... I'm courteous enough to not hunt close to it, but I wonder how many of those stands are actually abandoned and keeping me off a decent hunting spot.

Part of me scratches my head because I've had a stand stolen in the same area and I wonder what made mine so appealing? This is the reason I run and gun now.
I hunted private land just across the fence from public once. I parked 1/4 mile away, out of sight and walked to the stand which was actually 150 yards off a public road. Great stand, that had deer coming across the road on other private ground and cutting the corner on the private I was on and then on to public land.
A vehicle started parking right on the deer crossing that ruined it for me.
I left a nice note on the windshield explaining the deer crossed right there on to private land, and if he would be so nice to park where I did, and then walk in.
A couple days later, my tree stand, game cam, screw in steps were all stolen.
Tornado came through there the year after and blew down the only good tree for a stand so I went elsewhere.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple days later, my tree stand, game cam, screw in steps were all stolen.
Tornado came through there the year after and blew down the only good tree for a stand so I went elsewhere.

People... Although where I am hunting isn't too bad, I will definitely be putting in my efforts in the off season to get on some private land.

Latest posts

Top Bottom