Alliant Sport Pistol Powder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Has anyone seen Sport Pistol on the shelf anywhere locally?

I need a pound of it to finish loading some 9mm plinking rounds. I'm not desperate for it but just wondering if anyone has come across it lately.

If it is unobtainable I can use other powders but I would like to stick with it, or something very similar for now.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I saw sport pistol on the shelf at Jerry’s outdoors in Tulsa. But it was a few weeks ago so no idea about current inventory.
you might call them. 918-779-4444

if you are looking for an alternative I would suggest HS-6. I load 9mm with it and have been very pleased. Soft recoil, meters well, accurate, low flash & smoke, and it is a fluffy powder so it would be very evident if you double charge a case.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you are looking for an alternative I would suggest HS-6. I load 9mm with it and have been very pleased. Soft recoil, meters well, accurate, low flash & smoke, and it is a fluffy powder so it would be very evident if you double charge a case.
While I agree that HS-6 is a very good powder for full-power (or very close to it) 9mm loads, I certainly do not agree that it is "fluffy".

HS-6 is a ball powder. As are most ball powders, with the possible exception of flattened ball, it is a dense powder.

It is also much, much slower than Sport Pistol. I've never used SP, but from what I can find out it's a fast powder, along the lines of A#2, or even TiteGroup.

HS-6 is much slower. In betwixt A#5 and A#7, slower than Unique or Universal.

A double charge is evident because as a slow powder one needs more of it to attain velocity.
The softer recoil push is from the slower burn of the powder.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While I agree that HS-6 is a very good powder for full-power (or very close to it) 9mm loads, I certainly do not agree that it is "fluffy".

HS-6 is a ball powder. As are most ball powders, with the possible exception of flattened ball, it is a dense powder.

It is also much, much slower than Sport Pistol. I've never used SP, but from what I can find out it's a fast powder, along the lines of A#2, or even TiteGroup.

HS-6 is much slower. In betwixt A#5 and A#7, slower than Unique or Universal.

A double charge is evident because as a slow powder one needs more of it to attain velocity.
The softer recoil push is from the slower burn of the powder.
You are correct the word fluffy is not the right word to describe HS-6. Maybe volume or something else would be a better choice. What I was trying to explain was that in a 9mm case a double charge will fill the case enough that it is very evident. I am loading 6.5gn of HS-6 with a 115gn FMJ bullet and my Caldwell chronograph shows right at 1220fps.

so refresh my memory, is sport pistol the powder that has a lot of muzzle flash, and is unusually loud, or was that power pistol? I loaded one of those two powders several years ago and was not entirely satisfied with the results.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so refresh my memory, is sport pistol the powder that has a lot of muzzle flash, and is unusually loud, or was that power pistol? I loaded one of those two powders several years ago and was not entirely satisfied with the results.
I have never used either of those powders, so take my reply with a grain of salt.

IIRC, Power Pistol is the loud flashy one. It was designed to run comp'd 9mm Major pistols, and therefore has PLENTY of gas generation. That's the noise and flash you hear, particularly in pistols with naked muzzles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom