Alligator killed in Claremore

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
The American alligator was removed from the Federal list of threatened and endangered species back in the 1980s, I believe. ODWC still lists it as a “species of greatest conservation need” due to its rarity in OK, but it’s numerous through the southern part of its range simply due to weather. Because of its similarity to the American crocodile, which is considerably less numerous and which does have Federal protection, the Federal gov’t does regulate trade in products made from alligators to prevent unscrupulous individuals from passing off crocodile products as coming from alligators.
Right, but the season is closed permanently in OK, making it protected. Or do I misunderstand that?

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I fished Claremore lake a lot last year, both boat and bank fishing. Never saw that sucka and wouldn’t have thought too much about it for safety reasons. A lot, but not all of the fishing areas have steep banks or bluffs.
There is no swimming in the lake since it provides Claremore a water supply. Up to a few years ago, only electric motors could be used on it as well.
I’ve heard rumors over the years of folks catching baby alligators down in Texas and keeping them as pet in a fish tank until they outgrow the tank. Most of the rumors were more around dumping the gator in the Verdigris river, not Claremore lake.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
The article said it was probably taken there by a person and any animal you deal with is unpredictable , it is an animal, I guess my problem is we as a state piss money away on all sorts of frivolous crap but to capture this gator and throw it in a cargo trailer and drive 3 hours south is "non- feasible."
I am a hunter so my feelings are not tree hugger crap but to kill it because the gator is inconvenient just rankles!! And the public safety thing is silly other wise we better pay to have every gator , snake, badger and for that matter dog all round up a killed cause they may hurt someone.
"A spokesperson for the department said that because the alligator was too large to relocate, they are unsure of where it originally came from and they are unsure of the animals temperament to people, it had to be euthanized for public safety.

Alligators in Oklahoma are in the southeastern parts of the state, so this was a long way outside of its normal zone"

My take is:
1. Dealing with an unknown it was done for public safety.
2. Being far out of it's normal range means that not only was the gator unpredictable, so are the people around it that are unfamiliar with dealing with them.
3. Being relocated was considered, but deemed non-feasible.
4. The only option left was "permanent removal".

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty sure it is. If you have a bug that reaches 10' in length with rows of teeth and an aggressive season I double down on that remark.

starship_troopers_Johnny.jpg
o crap better kill it ,has teeth and looks mean
1652304609187.png

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s a big lizard. A reptile. They are fairly plentiful where they are a native species. I guess I just don’t get the outrage.

Where it was located it wasn’t native. It was most likely dumped, so it was feral, like a hog. I’d rather they spend a couple bucks on bullets eradicating an invasive animal rather than thousands relocating it.

The animal is dead because it’s owner dumped it. This is on them, but in the end it was a reptile that has hunting seasons established for it in areas of the country where it is native. I won’t give it a second thought.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I fished Claremore lake a lot last year, both boat and bank fishing. Never saw that sucka and wouldn’t have thought too much about it for safety reasons. A lot, but not all of the fishing areas have steep banks or bluffs.
There is no swimming in the lake since it provides Claremore a water supply. Up to a few years ago, only electric motors could be used on it as well.
I’ve heard rumors over the years of folks catching baby alligators down in Texas and keeping them as pet in a fish tank until they outgrow the tank. Most of the rumors were more around dumping the gator in the Verdigris river, not Claremore lake.
Our local lake didn't allow swimming either as it was a "water supply" for the city.
It took a lot of talking to convince the ignorant city officials that fish crap in the lake, runoff from cattle ranches, birds, snakes, and other critters crap in the water daily multiple times, while a couple dozen swimmers a day might contaminate the lake only in the summer where it's not drinkable?
Swim beach is there now with bathrooms across the street.

Latest posts

Top Bottom