Alligator snapping turtle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
We caught a monster snapper a few weeks back in the front yard. It's not an alligator variant, but nonetheless it was a vicious demon that left us cringing in fear. At any moment, he could have reached out and bit off a stray arm-hair or nicked a fingernail. It has changed our lives. I can't even bring myself to mow the lawn now; who knows when another one of those prehistoric beasts could pop up?

turtle.jpg

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We caught a monster snapper a few weeks back in the front yard. It's not an alligator variant, but nonetheless it was a vicious demon that left us cringing in fear. At any moment, he could have reached out and bit off a stray arm-hair or nicked a fingernail. It has changed our lives. I can't even bring myself to mow the lawn now; who knows when another one of those prehistoric beasts could pop up?

View attachment 119845

Note to self:

No lying in the grass either.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Grandpa and I caught one of those boogers just about the size of the one in the OP. Lake Texoma in about 1955, on a trotline. We were in a 14' jon boat. Talk about a circus.
When we left the lake, we hung him by the neck on the winch cable from the back of a stake bed truck. He rode that way all the way back to Healdton. We unwinched him to the ground and left him there for dead 'til we could come back later to dress him out (Mmmmmm good). Came back within the hour and he was gone. Mean mothers.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They can strike like a snake and take off your finger.

My oldest son lost the tip of his finger to the first knuckle when he was young to a snapper.
He and a buddy were at a pond with their bb guns and spotted the snapper. He had messed with many box turtles in the past, and got his hand too close. His buddy's dad killed it, and recovered the finger that was reattached.
When it gets cold, that finger really hurts him with the low blood circulation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom