Almost bought a beautiful Colt Python 357 mag/38sp 6" today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lord it was beautiful. SS and with the flutes it was magnificent. If I was younger I'd buy one but I think before the Pandemic they were running a couple of grand. I will pick up a nice used 357Mag wheel gun soon when I down size the guns I own. A 357 mag will be in what I get down to but not one that expensive. Anyway, we all got friends we grew up with that just couldn't deal with drugs and even being the same age (old as hell) he never got away from drugs and dug in deep the last few years. He once was an outstanding athlete and damn good looking (in a non gay way) and that's probably why he's still alive. He heard I was home from the hospital and came by with his python. He needed to sell it and just wanted a grand. I'll have to look it up, but I figure they might be going for 3g's now, I don't know, but a lot more than a grand.
Deal of a life time but I just couldn't do it. Not that I'm some saint, I ain't no saint...poet...naw. No saint or poet. I knew it was just going for drugs and the next guy he shows it to will buy it. I just couldn't be a part of helping push him the rest of the way off the cliff.
I'm telling you this story because I never tried to help him get help. Never told him what a fool he was or do the things a friend would do for a pal to help him. I just pretended he'd get over it and be himself again. I knew better. Most of you are younger than me and most of those know an old friend like mine killing himself. Tell him what you think. Try to help when it matters. I didn't. What did I do? I tried to make myself feel better by not buying a gun from a burnt out druggie. What a great guy I must think I am. But I'm not. I was a horrible friend to not do something when it could have helped.
Don't be me, be a better friend.

Beau B

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know you or your friend but I’ve known plenty of folks in the same boat. My humble opinion is that you could talk to your friend til you were blue in the face and it just wouldn’t matter where this is concerned. A user or an alcoholic is going to keep using and drinking until they just absolutely can’t stand it anymore and some die before they get to that point. A lot do. It’s really hard to watch and I’m sorry you’re going through it. Sorry your friend is too.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had a casual interest in Pythons for a while... before the pandemic, about the least expensive I was seeing was around $2400, most were a little over $3000. Someone posted one for sale on OSA a couple of years ago for $2000 and it literally sold within MINUTES of posting. I have not seen one at a gun show since the 2020 Pythons came out, if anyone knows I'm curious if the value of the older ones has gone up or down in the last year and a half. Just from what little I've seen on Gunbroker, it looks like they've gone up.

$1000 for a Python?! Oh my gosh, I'd have pulled a muscle trying to pay him fast enough!! :rollingla

In all seriousness though, yeah if I knew it was going to go to drugs that would have been a problem for me. I'll just agree with the above, it probably wouldn't have mattered what you did, he has to want help. But I understand your dilemma, and at least you don't feel like you supported his addiction. I can respect that.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have talked with all my friends and even not so close friends about drugs and I ask them why do you do the drugs.

I have volunteered to take them to rehab or take them to a relatives house that could help them.
I have been told they do it because their minds will not shut off and all bad feelings come out at night.

I have told them they need new habits like hard work during the day so they are tired at night.

Even when pot was not legal i would talk to my friends and ask why they do it and if they really wanted to do it.

Yea they all wanted to smoke pot and they all still do.
I will have a beer or 3 or a glass of wine or a couple shots and I am good and this is not often.
No drugs of any kind.

I am not trying to escape reality.
Reality will still be there when you come down and then what.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way I look at it is that I'd have bought it right then, right there (without showing where the money was acquired from in the house, or better yet going to withdraw it at a bank even if I had it cash) because if it wasn't going to a good home, it'll go to a bad home. Nothing you can do, but accept that it's both a win for you (by getting the deal of a lifetime) and a cautionary tale for you (since it'd be a constant reminder of what not to do).

The only real option to consider would be buying it and maybe offering a buyback option. I've done that before where people needed to offload stuff they didn't want, and I've sold it right back for the same price when they got past their bump in life. But I'm never ever going to pass up a deal like that because it breaks my heart, that's just silly IMHO.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a casual interest in Pythons for a while... before the pandemic, about the least expensive I was seeing was around $2400, most were a little over $3000. Someone posted one for sale on OSA a couple of years ago for $2000 and it literally sold within MINUTES of posting. I have not seen one at a gun show since the 2020 Pythons came out, if anyone knows I'm curious if the value of the older ones has gone up or down in the last year and a half. Just from what little I've seen on Gunbroker, it looks like they've gone up.

$1000 for a Python?! Oh my gosh, I'd have pulled a muscle trying to pay him fast enough!! :rollingla

In all seriousness though, yeah if I knew it was going to go to drugs that would have been a problem for me. I'll just agree with the above, it probably wouldn't have mattered what you did, he has to want help. But I understand your dilemma, and at least you don't feel like you supported his addiction. I can respect that.
Thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom