Almost bought a beautiful Colt Python 357 mag/38sp 6" today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't think for a second the new Python's can even hold a candle to the originals. They were hand made by master gunsmiths that averaged about 40 yrs experience. Over 3 days went into just the polishing. You can't even get the new ones in blue, strictly stainless, that oughta tell you something. Today's gunmakers try to get you to believe the craptastic flat black nitride finish is for YOUR benefit, when of course it's just to save THEM time and money.
They are so beautiful. Maybe the most perfect gun ever made. The old school quality can't be matched. Now they make them look good but we all know they ain't the real deal. You can put lipstick on a pig and it's still a pig.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have no worthwhile knowledge except you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. If a man doesn't want to help himself, you can't help him.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could see both sides to the situation.

Does the $1k contribute to his addiction...
or
Does you buying the gun get it out of his possession so he doesn't do something stupid with it while on an inevitable bender.

CC379

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lord it was beautiful. SS and with the flutes it was magnificent. If I was younger I'd buy one but I think before the Pandemic they were running a couple of grand. I will pick up a nice used 357Mag wheel gun soon when I down size the guns I own. A 357 mag will be in what I get down to but not one that expensive. Anyway, we all got friends we grew up with that just couldn't deal with drugs and even being the same age (old as hell) he never got away from drugs and dug in deep the last few years. He once was an outstanding athlete and damn good looking (in a non gay way) and that's probably why he's still alive. He heard I was home from the hospital and came by with his python. He needed to sell it and just wanted a grand. I'll have to look it up, but I figure they might be going for 3g's now, I don't know, but a lot more than a grand.
Deal of a life time but I just couldn't do it. Not that I'm some saint, I ain't no saint...poet...naw. No saint or poet. I knew it was just going for drugs and the next guy he shows it to will buy it. I just couldn't be a part of helping push him the rest of the way off the cliff.
I'm telling you this story because I never tried to help him get help. Never told him what a fool he was or do the things a friend would do for a pal to help him. I just pretended he'd get over it and be himself again. I knew better. Most of you are younger than me and most of those know an old friend like mine killing himself. Tell him what you think. Try to help when it matters. I didn't. What did I do? I tried to make myself feel better by not buying a gun from a burnt out druggie. What a great guy I must think I am. But I'm not. I was a horrible friend to not do something when it could have helped.
Don't be me, be a better friend.
pawn shop will probably get it for $500 and list it for 5k

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lord it was beautiful. SS and with the flutes it was magnificent. If I was younger I'd buy one but I think before the Pandemic they were running a couple of grand. I will pick up a nice used 357Mag wheel gun soon when I down size the guns I own. A 357 mag will be in what I get down to but not one that expensive. Anyway, we all got friends we grew up with that just couldn't deal with drugs and even being the same age (old as hell) he never got away from drugs and dug in deep the last few years. He once was an outstanding athlete and damn good looking (in a non gay way) and that's probably why he's still alive. He heard I was home from the hospital and came by with his python. He needed to sell it and just wanted a grand. I'll have to look it up, but I figure they might be going for 3g's now, I don't know, but a lot more than a grand.
Deal of a life time but I just couldn't do it. Not that I'm some saint, I ain't no saint...poet...naw. No saint or poet. I knew it was just going for drugs and the next guy he shows it to will buy it. I just couldn't be a part of helping push him the rest of the way off the cliff.
I'm telling you this story because I never tried to help him get help. Never told him what a fool he was or do the things a friend would do for a pal to help him. I just pretended he'd get over it and be himself again. I knew better. Most of you are younger than me and most of those know an old friend like mine killing himself. Tell him what you think. Try to help when it matters. I didn't. What did I do? I tried to make myself feel better by not buying a gun from a burnt out druggie. What a great guy I must think I am. But I'm not. I was a horrible friend to not do something when it could have helped.
Don't be me, be a better friend.
you should buy it if you can afford to hold on to it - tell him if/when he gets well you will sell it back
if you don't buy it someone else will - maybe for far less - and no chance of getting it back

Latest posts

Top Bottom