Alternate FMJ and JHP in your CC clips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After thinking this over, I need to modify what I originally said.

It depends on the caliber/gun. If overpenetration is going to be an issue, I wouldnt do it. I would be very hesitent to carry any FMJ in a caliber that is super sonic.

Also have to consider how accurate a shooter you are. If FMJ doesnt hit center mass you run a risk of deflection. Guess that could go for JHPs as well, but I would think the loss in velocity would be substantially more with JHP deflection than FMJ.

Someone needs to do some ballistics test with deflection and penetration, dagnabbit!

50Shooter

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
90% of all persons shot with a handgun round continue doing whatever they were doing before taking the single hit. That stat is universal to bullet type and caliber. Hollow points are basically flesh anchors. They only very slightly increase wounding. What they do is limit overpenetration therefore limit liability. The way to make a handgun an effective fight stopper is not to get a bigger one, it is to use the front sight and place your shot. 22LR is amazing effective with precision placed hits. 45 ACP is poor fight stopper with misses and/or edge hits.

Stopping power comes with centerfire rifles and proper bullet design for the size critter you intend to take. Go pull old articles from International Wound Ballistic Assn and Dr. Fackler. Read it all and get with the facts and forget the gun magazine articles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom