Always Expect a Train

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I heard, years ago, that whenever one comes to a RR crossing, say to yourself "Always Expect a Train" whether there are warning signals of not.
Today I came to a crossing that had the lowering arm barricades, flashing lighs and bells, that were not working. I had slowed to look and repeated the phrase, a fast moving train crossed right in front of me.

ALWAYS EXPECT A TRAIN!!

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've read that the railroads dislike installing crossing guard systems because they lull people into not stopping and watching before crossing.

Last edited:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone that has ever driven a train, or worked with them much, has respect for them. A train can't stop, and the energy behind all that weight is unbelievable. I barely clipped a work truck some idiot parked too close to the tracks one time. The train lifted it up, and dropped it down, and I didn't even realize I hit it until the flagman stopped me. (and that was only one car and a switcher engine)

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a crossing coming out of a wooded residential area on 51 between the Keystone Dam and Mannford that is stupid dangerous. Those suckers fly through there too.

If it's the one I am thinking of I have a relative that lives in a house on that road. You do not cross those tracks without stop, look and listen, even then it's a little unnerving.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back when I worked for Our Crazy Uncle, a guy in my unit was squashed by a train whilst he was walking down the tracks. It happened at night;the train operator probably never saw the guy, and in fact stated as much.

It makes one wonder how a train could sneak up on a pedestrian, but it certainly appears that is exactly what happened.

Latest posts

Top Bottom