Am I overreacting to a "hypothetical" situation?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkV

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lets say "hypothetically", my brother in law was arrested and charged with a crime that has the adjectives "lewd acts", "child", and "felony" in the description.

My wife and I have "hypothetically" talked about it and decided that it's best for him to not be around our 4 and 2 year old unless he's found innocent.

"Hypothetically" her entire family is pissed at us now.

Are we overreacting?

EDIT: Spelling :)

Last edited:

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, it's your job to keep your kids safe. Seems like in-laws are good at finding reasons to be pissed. Trust your instincts and stay calm and let them be pissed.

ahamay6

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kids, family. Priority in that order. Any family member that can't understand why you wouldn't want your children around a hypothetically sick individual is really just trying to avoid the real problem. That's not, not being supportive. That's protecting your children.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't ask me.

I caught all kinds of **** from my a family member because I won't shake hands with or share holiday meals with the guy she's marrying, who physically abused her (not hypothetical, admitted) to a felony level in front of her teenage daughter who walked in and stopped it. Haven't spoken to her in months. I'm the judgmental *******. Fine, I'll be the *******. Bye. I cannot deal with that crap.

In your case, if he's claiming innocence, keep your kids away from him until you find out for sure. I only say (until you find out for sure) because I know crazy spouses and ex-whatsits can throw accusations of child abuse around in divorces and such. If they get mad at you for that then fawk 'em and feed 'em fish heads. Your family, your decisions.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who else is gonna keep your kids safe?

I know arrested and charged isn't the same as tried and convicted, but he "hypothetically" wouldn't have been accused of this terrible act if there wasn't any merit to it.

Trust your instincts and guard those babies with your life so they don't become victims.

Some offenders of certain crimes can be rehabilitated. Murderers, thieves, arsonists, hell, even some dopers. But crimes of a sexual nature - especially ones involving children - those offenders have a certain sickness that they take to their grave.

Latest posts

Top Bottom