Am I overreacting to a "hypothetical" situation?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I conduct myself in a manner that does not cause people to question my trustworthiness and I expect the same of the people in my life. I also trust my instincts about other people. Therefore, if I were actually concerned that the allegations may be true, that would be cause for me to protect my kids just like you're doing now.

If I was saying to myself "no way, he wouldn't do that", then I'd want to do my own digging to determine if someone with a grudge against him was making false accusations.

MarkV

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So we have 6 not overacting.

1 overreacting. At leas that's how I'm interpreting the statement charged is not the same as convicted.

There are more details. The family has the transcripts of the conversations. We're (my wife and I) not being allowed to see/hear them. One day we would hear something that was on the transcript, then the next day hear something that would nearly be the exact opposite of what we heard the day before.

After the flip flopping on what had happened, I decided to make my decisions on what I knew. He's been charged with lewd or indecent proposals or acts to child under 16.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not overreacting at all. This coming from a father of 4 and 1 year old girls.

Depending upon specifics, I might would keep the same policy even if he beats the charge, were I in your position.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If something did happen to your children as a result of being around him..............what would you tell them later?

"Well I knew there was a chance there that something horrific might happen, but he wasn't convicted of it yet, and I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt." "Sorry kids, hope you'll get over it, I should have used better judgment."

Look out for your kids.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Innocent until proven guilty. However, I'd never put my kids at risk as long as there was the slightest possibility of guilt. If his family can't or won't accept my reasoning, piss on them.

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My family has avoided contact with family members for far less than being an alleged Cho-Mo so youre not overreacting IMO.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If something did happen to your children as a result of being around him..............what would you tell them later?

"Well I knew there was a chance there that something horrific might happen, but he wasn't convicted of it yet, and I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt." "Sorry kids, hope you'll get over it, I should have used better judgment."

Look out for your kids.

Yep... this and what GTG said.

I've also been in a situation similar to what Ridge is describing, but he finally went to jail.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The tendency of people to double down when backed into a corner as a result of their own ****** decisions (e.g. keeping company with abusers) is truly remarkable.

I. Hate. People. A lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk

Cavedweller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your kids, your choice on who they do and don't interact with, but I worked with one guy that was charged with rape and know another charged with lewd acts with a minor.

The guy accused of rape was in jail for 3 mths, after further investigation it turns out the girl lied b/c she was mad at an ex-boyfriend (she told police the ex and 2 of his friends did it, he was one of the friends). His word versus hers. Charges were later dropped, but the damage was done to his character and he lost his job.

The other case involved a 17 yr old girl dating a 19 yr old boy the parents did not like. The story I heard from a family member was the girl was 12, so I was all up in arms and wanted nothing to do with the guy, but I thought it was strange he didn't spend anytime at all in jail. Turns out the family member I heard the info from did not do their homework and was fighting with another family member that was involved with the guy. I later found out the real story and would now trust the guy with my wife and daughter without question.

So don't be too quick to judge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom