Am I overreacting to a "hypothetical" situation?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, you are not over-reacting. Protect your children first. No, he has not been convicted but why take any chances with your children's futures. You have the ability to prevent any possible "hypothetical" abuse.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think overreacting would be if you hunted him down and castrated him.

Carry on as you were. If it is a relative your family was pretty close to, maybe you still have some sort of visitation where he gets to visit under your close supervision.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not an over reaction on your part at all. After my father did one of these hpothetical acts on my sisters 4 year old girl I told him to go away and never come back...that was 1985. He died in 2010 having never seen my two kids or my sisters two other kids. So he never knew any of his grand kids. His loss, not mine. I have 8 grand kids now and I can tell you he missed a lot.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not over reacting, your kids, your decision on who they can be around.

I'm by no means a legal genius, but to me, charged and arrested indicates there was sufficient evidence to substantiate the charges, and the arrest. I also realize a small percentage of the time the evidence/charges/arrest is cleared but my perception is that this is the exception, not the rule.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think Okie nailed it. Square and centered.

Or invite him over with the stipulation, "There will be a 12 gauge pointed at your testicles the entire time you're here."

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lets say "hypothetically", my brother in law was arrested and charged with a crime that has the adjectives "lewd acts", "child", and "felony" in the description.

My wife and I have "hypothetically" talked about it and decided that it's best for him to not be around our 4 and 2 year old unless he's found innocent.

I would say keep him from being alone with them... should he be totally excluded from contact, or from family gatherings or what-have-you? Maybe... that depends on circumstances and context of the incident in question, IMNSHO. As has been said... your kids, your responsibility, your decision.

Eff 'em.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People talk a tough talk on child molestation, druggies, abusers, and everything else. Amazing how when it's blood it's "give them another chance" or "you're overreacting".

People are all "I'd kick their ass" or "get a rope" until it's one of their own, then it's hands across America.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No way in hell would I ever leave my kids alone or unsupervised around said person. Sadly, I have this in my wife's family and first hand experience. Their family doesn't appreciate my side, but they can be shocked. I'll be damned, but my kid and his safety come way before what the accused wants.
Even if he is found not guilty, I'll still be darn suspicious and never let the kid out of sight with this person around. My F-I-L got away with it several times before someone finally pressed charges that stuck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom