Amazom.Com Charging Too Much Sales Tax

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone paying attention to Amazon charging/collecting too much sales tax? They've been hitting me up for 9.75% since last year and the rate for where I live is only 5.75%. I complained about it and I'm being refunded the excess tax collected, but when I tried to place an order this evening, the sales tax still showed up as being 9.75%! I dumped the order and I won't place another order with them until it gets straightened out. I told them that yesterday and the day before.

You'd think an operation as tech savvy and that big would be able to correct such errors within seconds! Leads me to believe it's being done on purpose. :scream:

Woody

Sales Tax has become a nigh mare charging the correct sales tax where a item is shipped.
If you live in the middle of a county in a large city it is easy. But if you live at the edge of two county's and city's it become impossible.
Example Wilshire (Section correction line every 24 miles) and County line (Oklahoma & Canadian County)
Oklahoma city limits with a Yukon mailing address or Yukon City Limits with a Oklahoma city mailing address.
The section line is off set by 300 yards at Wilshire and county line so address do not tell you which county you are in.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago I complained to AT&T about this exact problem. I was being charged sales tax as if I lived inside the limits of the city from which my mail is sorted. That almost doubled the tax. I never got a satisfactory end to the problem.

If one uses the Zip + 4 designation, it is simple to show location. The +4 will sort very close to you.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's been weird on my purchases. No tax for an item fulfilled by another vendor. Somewhere between the state and county rate for one they fulfilled. Which I guess is fine since they didn't include my city, which nearly doubles it. At least The Exchange still doesn't charge any tax. They just don't have near as many oddball items.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago I complained to AT&T about this exact problem. I was being charged sales tax as if I lived inside the limits of the city from which my mail is sorted. That almost doubled the tax. I never got a satisfactory end to the problem.

If one uses the Zip + 4 designation, it is simple to show location. The +4 will sort very close to you.

All you need to do is go to the Oklahoma Tax Commission Tax Rate Site, fill in the info on the tax rate screen and it will tell you what your sales tax rate is.

Woody

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Amazon charged me tax for something my daughter wanted coming direct from China. It's way above local tax so I'm hoping that includes the import tax. I get pretty irked when they buy anything that doesn't ship using two day free shipping..

Shoes1.JPG

shoes2.JPG

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All you need to do is go to the Oklahoma Tax Commission Tax Rate Site, fill in the info on the tax rate screen and it will tell you what your sales tax rate is.

Woody

Woody, I know what my sales tax rate is. The problem stems from my living outside city limits, but the mail goes through the town post office.
AT&T charged tax as if I lived in the city limits. The only thing I have in common with that city, is that my mail is routed through it.

Any commonly available software will tell these huge companies the proper tax rate. They are using the incorrect rate as a revenue enhancement device.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Amazon just charge me the city tax rate as well (I'm just outside the city). The good news is that if you call their Customer Service line at (888) 280-4331, and when the automatic router asks what you want, say "Sales Tax," it'll route you to someone who can help. In my case, the lady was very helpful and pleasant; while she didn't have the ability to change the tax rate for me, she did raise an escalation, and credited my account with the entire sales tax cost, not just the difference (and she was very clear that she was doing so deliberately to compensate for the inconvenience; I didn't hoodwink her or anything).

So...Amazon, anyway, is responsive. I suggest everybody affected call them on every order until this gets fixed.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Amazon just charge me the city tax rate as well (I'm just outside the city). The good news is that if you call their Customer Service line at (888) 280-4331, and when the automatic router asks what you want, say "Sales Tax," it'll route you to someone who can help. In my case, the lady was very helpful and pleasant; while she didn't have the ability to change the tax rate for me, she did raise an escalation, and credited my account with the entire sales tax cost, not just the difference (and she was very clear that she was doing so deliberately to compensate for the inconvenience; I didn't hoodwink her or anything).

So...Amazon, anyway, is responsive. I suggest everybody affected call them on every order until this gets fixed.

I called a couple times before I got a positive response. I have been credited the overcharged sales tax back from the beginning. On the next two days I've tried to place an order and both times the sales tax came up at the wrong percentage. I stopped both times and I won't be ordering anything from them until they get it straightened out.

Woody

Latest posts

Top Bottom