Amazom.Com Charging Too Much Sales Tax

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Woody, I know what my sales tax rate is. The problem stems from my living outside city limits, but the mail goes through the town post office.
AT&T charged tax as if I lived in the city limits. The only thing I have in common with that city, is that my mail is routed through it.

Any commonly available software will tell these huge companies the proper tax rate. They are using the incorrect rate as a revenue enhancement device.

I know you know. It's Amazon that needs to look up the rates.

Woody

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was ordering (or WAS ordering) an item off of Amazon. It was over a grand and I noticed the tax. It was wrong. I cancelled the order. It wasn't much, but it was wrong in favor of Amazon.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the record, I doubt Amazon is keeping the difference; rather, I think the state is getting it, especially given that multiple companies are making the same mistake.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the record, I doubt Amazon is keeping the difference; rather, I think the state is getting it, especially given that multiple companies are making the same mistake.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I live in a different county than where my mail gets sorted. Mail in Kay county, and I live in Osage county. Our zip code of 74604 actually crosses into Kay county as well.
I'm going to go into my profile on Amazon and do the zip +4 like dumpstick recommended.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I live in a different county than where my mail gets sorted. Mail in Kay county, and I live in Osage county. Our zip code of 74604 actually crosses into Kay county as well.
I'm going to go into my profile on Amazon and do the zip +4 like dumpstick recommended.
Check carefully on your next order after you do; I'm using the +4 and they still put me in the city. To be fair, my property line is city limits, so part of that +4 might be in the city and confusing their software.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check carefully on your next order after you do; I'm using the +4 and they still put me in the city. To be fair, my property line is city limits, so part of that +4 might be in the city and confusing their software.
I didn't how accurate that +4 is. The 74604 does cross the river into Kay county.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what I understand, the +4will sort to the correct block, and correct side of the road.

IOW, pretty dang accurate.

Only for mail delivery! (Zip Codes and Sales Tax have nothing in common)
It does not give the City or County for Sales Tax Rates
and some rural delivery areas do not have a address
Oklahoma City has surround several very small towns and they do not have a separate zip Code

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If zip+4 will sort to the correct block, and correct side of the road, there will certainly be a strong correlation between zip and sales tax.

Also, every community that has 911 service will have street addresses. Now, the addresses being g posted on the mailbox, well, that is up to the local postmaster.

When my area went with 911 service, most didn't want to give up the RR# and box. After a few years, the postmaster issued a fiat, that all mail would be held unless the box is marked with a street address.

Latest posts

Top Bottom