Amazom.Com Charging Too Much Sales Tax

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If zip+4 will sort to the correct block, and correct side of the road, there will certainly be a strong correlation between zip and sales tax.

The above may be true in the area you live in. (Not in a big city) Some roads run East-West & North-South)

You are standing in the middle of Wilshire Blvd (Runs East - West) in OKC at aprox. 8900 NW or 8901 NW.
County Line Road is the Boundary between Oklahoma & Canadian Counties.
The question: Is County Line East or West of you? (Answer: It is both, East by 125 Feet & West by 125 Feet)
Bonus Question: Name the only two section lines that run north & south in Oklahoma (Indian & Cimarron Meridian)

You can have a Yukon Zip Code (73099-XXXX) and live in Canadian County but live in OKC City Limits.
Or a Yukon zip code and live in Oklahoma County and vice a versa.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the USPS site:

ZIP+4 Code
The ZIP+4 code added a hyphen and four digits to the existing five-digit ZIP Code. The first five numbers continued to identify an area of the country and delivery office to which mail is directed. The sixth and seventh numbers denoted a delivery sector, which may be several blocks, a group of streets, a group of Post Office boxes, several office buildings, a single high-rise office building, a large apartment building or a small geographic area. The last two numbers denoted a delivery segment, which might be one floor of an office building, one side of a street between intersecting streets, specific departments in a firm, or specific Post Office boxes.

I stand by my statement. There is a strong correlation between zip+4 and sales tax rate.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are many post offices that serve multiple cities. The Piedmont post office also delivers mail to Oklahoma City address. If you live in Northwood Lake you are an Oklahoma City resident but you'll have a Piedmont zip code. If you live in Surrey Hills you are an Oklahoma City resident but your mailing is delivered by the Yukon Post Office and you'll have a Yukon zip code.

That's where part of the problem lies. There were some businesses at NW Highway and Piedmont Rd that were charging customers a Piedmont sales tax rate, which is one of the highest in the state, when they should have been charging the lower Oklahoma City rate.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dumpstick
Sales Tax Rates are based on State, County, City, (And other special areas)

Does a zip code+4 give you the correct State? (The answer is NO) See 13 Zip Codes Below
02861 Massachusetts 02861 Rhode Island
42223 Kentucky 42223 Tennessee
59221 Montana 59221 North Dakota
63673 Illinois 63673 Missouri
71749 Arkansas 71749 Louisiana
73949 Oklahoma 73949 Texas
81137 Colorado 81137 New Mexico
84536 Arizona 84536 Utah
86044 Arizona 86044 Utah
86515 Arizona 86515 New Mexico
88063 New Mexico 88063 Texas
89439 California 89439 Nevada
97635 California 97635 Oregon

Does a zip code+4 give you the correct County? (The answer is NO)
Does a zip code+4 give you the correct City? (The answer is NO)
Does a zip code+4 give you the correct Special Tax Areas? (The answer is NO)

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of those zips are 5 numbers. Not a zip +4 in the bunch.

If the zip+4 can sort to the correct region, state, city, carrier, street, and which block and side of the street, IT CAN CERTAINLY TELL WHAT COUNTY YOU ARE IN !!!!

If you would bother to read what I'm writing, you would possibly understand.

Zip +4 DOES designate county.
Zip+4 DOES give city, that's what the original ZIP was for.

If ZIP+4 can pinpoint what region, state, city, sorting PO, route, street and block you are on, and it does, it will pinpoint your tax rate.

Zip +4 alone, nothing else on the envelope, will get the letter to your block, on the correct side of the street. In the correct State, County, etc etc.

Come to that, Zip +4 alone will get a letter to several places exactly. Wal-Mart corporate headquarters, CIA in DC, etc.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stand by my statement. There is a strong correlation between zip+4 and sales tax rate.

You're really both right. A strong correlation would be there for sure. But in a country of 328 million (what's that? 125 million households?), there's still going to be thousands of outliers where the tax rate won't match the other residences that the ZIP+4 should confirm to.

Even knowing the region, state, city, sorting PO, route, street and block you are on, it won't always know exact specifics like if that is in a particular side of a county line, or if it has or has not been annexed by a municipality. Because the USPS and the local tax collection entities are administered separately.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sales Tax in Oklahoma requires the following information for every sale, to file Sales Tax.
OK – COPO – City. (XX – XXXX – XXXX) Ten Digits, Zip+4 only has 9 digits.
Please write a computer program that sorts 9 digits into 10 (I will market it you you)

Oklahoma is very simple compared to Texas, requiring 23 digits to file Sales Tax Return
TX – County – City- Muli-District (XX – XXXXXXX – XXXXXXX – XXXXXXX)
After you write the Oklahoma program they add Texas, to it and then the other 48 states.

We will make millions!

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was ready to make a $1,300.00 purchase. It may seem trivial, but it was wrong and I just couldn't let that go so I cancelled.
It was just a few bucks but wrong is wrong.

Latest posts

Top Bottom